SSD Pin assignment for rMBP & MBA 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aygodriver, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Aygodriver macrumors newbie

Hi,

does anyone know how the pin assignment of the SSD connector for the rMBP & MBA 2012 looks like? The connector seems to be mSATA (electrically), but with a different shape and different pins. Some information would be great :)
    I didn't find anything in the web... I have only found the specification for mSATA... :(

2. ZipZap macrumors 601

I'd doubt you would find one. Why do you need it...there are adapters on ebay.

Call OWC and ask them if they will give it to you....probably not.

3. Aygodriver thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to know, if it's possible to connect a standard 2,5" SSD with the connector of the 13" rMBP. There would be enough space under the trackpad to install a Samsung 830 (perhaps without the case, only the PCB, if 7 mm is too high).
    I don't want to pay so much money for an Apple-SSD, when it's possible to use a cheap standard-SSD from Samsung (the chips on the Samsung 830 are exactly the same as on the Apple-Blade from Samsung)...

At the moment it looks to me like it would fit perfectly. There has only be an adaption of the voltage from 3,3 V to 5 V, if the Apple port has no 5V. The only problem is the pin assignment :mad:

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Honestly, the time spent attempting to get this to work would (at least for me) far outweigh any savings to be had, if successful.

Not to mention you could end up spending more to make this work (parts and possible damages).

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Why did you buy it knowing that it had a silly proprietary connector? That means your going to pay Apple/OWC prices for everything.

6. Aygodriver thread starter macrumors newbie

I like it to solve such problems... that's something like my hobby. But I would only do it, if I'm sure, that it will work :D

I want to buy it in future, if it's possible to put a standard SSD in it... without that option, it would be to expensive and I would have no DIY-work... :rolleyes:

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Look, I love DIY myself, but sometimes you have to consider more closely the risks and expense. I am sure you can find a more exciting project.

8. Ploki macrumors 68000

Sounds like a fun project.

If you figure it out, make a kick-starter project with adapters and try to get fundraising to make a mass-produced prototype.

I'd gladly help if I knew how. I'm getting my 15" retina soon and I'll be replacing with the SSD with an OWC disk asap if that helps.

cheers

9. idledrift macrumors newbie

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/HYPMhXIIfHrpODWJ.medium

From the picture you can see than on one end of the cable is a connector to the mainboard and on the other end is the proprietary ssd connector. So it looks like someone can make a cable that has the connector to the mainboard and on the other end is an msata connector or even a sata connector. But I think a sata drive would need power also.