SSD Power Consumption

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Silverrune, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Silverrune macrumors regular

So I have chosen to get the new Corsair Force Series GS 360GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive for my 2012 MBP (Non-Retina), the only thing I am worried about is the power consumption. Just like Corsairs GT models, this drive uses a max of 4.7 watts. Standard HDD use 2.5. That's almost double! Will it cut my battery life in half? I am not looking for suggestions of intel SSD's, or OCZ, or even Samsung. I just want tips to improve battery life with this SSD. Note: I am also getting Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory. I can't wait to install these. If I need I will get one of the external battery kits.

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Will it cut your battery in life in half - are you serious? Do you think that the only power consumer in a computer is a hard drive? 4.7W is a small fraction of the overall power consumption.

Anyway, the SSD has several times faster read/write speeds, which means it draws power for a smaller period of time, so will counteract the extra power required to perform an action.

3. playsontheleft macrumors regular

Having previously used a traditional hard drive in this laptop and now using a Corsair Force GT, I haven't really seen any real changes to battery life. It's very slightly better if anything. If you're finding that a new SSD sucks power then you could have a defective one, since there's no real reason why it would.

4. g8rduc macrumors newbie

g8rduc

I think they only battery consumption will be if you add the SSD and put another drive in place of your DVD. That's my experience, anyways.

5. dona83 macrumors regular

Some SSDs consume more power than other SSDs. The performance ones that do 500MB/S incompressible data for example will use more. I wouldn't worry too much about load power, even if it uses double the power, it'll complete a task in a fraction of the time. I'm more concerned about idle power. Some of the performance SSDs use more power than a standard notebook hard drive in idle. I have an OCZ Agility 3, it's still fast despite only doing 160MB/second, but it uses only 0.5W idle. But really, you're just talking about gaining or losing 30 minutes of battery life as it is not a significant source of power draw compared to the CPU/GPU and LED display.