SSD Preferences

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BTGeekboy, Apr 27, 2011.

1. BTGeekboy macrumors member

What's everyone's SSD preferred SSD these days? I've got a 2010 MBP, so the Vertex 3 is not a good choice (expensive and less performant on a 3gbps connection), and I'm afraid of getting the junk version of the Vertex 2.

I've heard good things about OWC, but I have a bunch of Amazon gift certificates ($260 worth), so they're unfortunately not an option. (The only 240GB I could find on there was from one seller I've never heard of, memoryc -- no thanks.)

I'd like to get over 200GB if the price is right.

2. Potatochobit macrumors regular

OWC and OCZ are very very similar in regards to build and firmware
    I am using an agility 2 in my 2008 macbook pro which I am typing on right now
    I also upgraded to 8GB of memory

you can buy crucial, corsair, OCZ or OWC, any are fine
    I use an OCZ in my PC as well

Whatever you do, make sure you update the firmware ASAP, before even installing into your mac
    if you have a PC, that makes it super easy, just plug it in and update
    if you don't, be sure to visit the SSD manufacturers website for the one you plan to buy, many of them require you to burn a disc and boot from the DVD drive (basically you running linux off a CD) and update it that way in your mac

3. fineaddme macrumors regular

4. jaskarn macrumors newbie

Intel 320

Im using an Intel 320 SSD in my MacBook Pro 15" 2010 and its amazing. The biggest difference is boot times and application startup times. I was annoyed when my MacBook Air with a C2D felt faster than my MacBook Pro with an i5, so i installed this new ssd and reinstalled the OS, now its the fastest computer i've ever used.
    I chose Intel mainly because of the trustworthy brand and they seemed to be doing quite well with the X25 series. SSD's are certainly worth it, im never going to buy/build a computer without an SSD in future- its the best upgrade possible.

5. BTGeekboy thread starter macrumors member

Based on reviews, specifications, and recommendations, I think I'm gonna go with the Crucial C300 256GB. It's $474 from Amazon, has decent reviews on there and around the web (that I've seen), and looks like it'll do the job great.

I'm not going to place my order quite yet though - try and talk me out of it! Haha.

6. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/65

Seems like a pretty good choice. I didn't realize anything was beating the Vertexes, although it's been about a year since I went shopping. (The IBM's were always a little faster, but a lot more dollars as well.)

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I went with the crucial m225 series since it still had a 5 year warranty... if something happens to it I know crucial stands behind their products and maybe I'll get the latest, greatest at the time as a "plus"!

Its in my whitebook and working fine as I notice no slowdown (been in a year or so)...

8. frankieboy macrumors regular

You might want to consider this:

Read and write speed is awesomely fast. But there is a hitch: the speed out of the box is a fairy tale that does not hold up with sustained use, although the ongoing speed is still superb.

The speed is actually understated when the drive is first used; fresh out of the box, the Crucial 256GB achieves a blistering-fast 215MB/sec write speed, and 267MB/sec read speed on the DiskTester fill-volume test. Those are fantastic numbers! (The fastest laptop hard drives might sustain 98MB/sec on the fastest part of the drive).

On the second and subsequent fill-volume tests, write speed declines by 17% over the initial results, settling down to a still superb 187MB/sec, about 6% below the rated speed. Furthermore, it develops a periodic stutter, which can be seen in the blue line in the graph. Read speeds drop only a smidgen, remaining above 260MB/sec.​