SSD price and rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by walkie, Jan 14, 2013.

1. walkie macrumors 6502

I'm planning to buy rMBP 15" with 256GB since Apple charges a lot for the 512GB option and then upgrade to 512GB, so:

1) Do you think SSD's price will drop a little this year? if it does when do you think prices can drop? late this year?

2) I've seen WOC and Samsung are right there
    which is the best option to upgrade considering their prices and performance?

Thanks in advance.

2. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

I've been reading other forums and some say that prices will go down very slowly throughout this year, other say prices can go up a little due to high demand since more people are getting interested in SSD's, so, to sum up only time will tell, is difficult to predict we need some hints.

3. nickbarbs macrumors regular

I just got a 1 month old 512GB SSD Used from someone on Ebay, for 520$ USD, three weeks ago.

The price then was about 400£ or 640$ for a new one... now the prices seem to be 500£ or 800$ USD

Seems like the price has gone up lately, maybe its a supply thing?

Edit: just to clarify i meant i got a 512gb samsung RMBP SSD. Using my 256GB Retina SSD as the main boot drive for my i7 desktop now.. thats how i justified the upgrade

4. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

Used SSD's can be a good deal since they do not deteriorate cause they don't have moving parts, in my case I have a late 2009 iMac and I'm not sure if I can swap the 256GB remaining to this old iMac.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

SSDs can die just like HDDs. They just don't die from mechanical wear.

6. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually the good thing about HDDs is that in most cases they let you know when they're about to die.