SSD prices over the next year or two...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by myke323, Jun 18, 2010.

  1. myke323 macrumors regular

    May 17, 2006
    How low will they go?

    I think I am going to go with the 320GB 5400RPM in my new MBP. Then upgrade to SSD in about a year when prices decrease. I think that plan makes sense. Hopefully the 5400 won't slow me down too much as I am constantly back-and-forth between photoshop/bbedit/browsers...
  2. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    Nobody knows for sure. Two years ago, 32GB costed like 800$, now they are what, less than 100$. Depends on how big you're looking at. I would see ~128GB going for around 100$ but big ones will be expensive
  3. Pablo631 macrumors newbie

    Jan 25, 2010
    You should look into the Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive. It s 500gb, 7200 rpm drive with 4gb of flash memory. Its a smart drive that places all the most frequently used items on the flash memory to speed things up. You can see a video comparison here:

    Plus they are only like $125 - if you can find one.
  4. nineohtoo macrumors 6502


    Jun 22, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Look at it like this, prices are always going to go down. You will ALWAYS be disappointed with how much you paid when the new stuff comes out. Playing the waiting game with electronics is futile. Get what you need and be happy with it as for long as you can.

    Two years ago when I last had a Windows machine my 64GB SSD retailed around $400. I just installed an 80GB SSD in my current MBP for $185. There are more factors to account for, but I figure in a years time I could probably get close to twice as much as I paid for right now.
  5. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

    Jun 29, 2008
    its just gonna get lower and lower.
    i hope a fast 256gb ssd cost about $300 or less by 2012, thats when my applecare ends :p
  6. Sarngate macrumors regular

    May 15, 2010
    Hopefully they will have reached the 2GB per £ mark by the end of next year. Wouldn't mind shelling out £100 for a 200GB Drive.
  7. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

    Apr 24, 2010

    It's not about being dissappointed about the cost... It's about being able to afford it. Paying so much money for such a small amount of memory is just too much right now, but in a couple of years they'll be cheap enough for the masses.
  8. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

    Feb 18, 2008
    Next generation of SSDs are expected around the turn of the year; look for new size variations and different prices at that time.
  9. withoutyou macrumors newbie


    Jan 16, 2005
  10. myke323 thread starter macrumors regular

    May 17, 2006
    Great info; thanks everyone.

    I'm thinking it makes sense then to just get the 5400, use that for about a year, and then upgrade to SSD. Not sure if getting the 7200 makes sense if upgrading to SSD is the ultimate goal...
  11. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

    Jun 29, 2008
    well the 7200 rpm is only about a $50 upgrade.
    but then again the 5400rpm is more than capable.
  12. myke323 thread starter macrumors regular

    May 17, 2006
    well, actually i'm most likely going with the 320GB 5400, so the upgrade from that is $150. if it were only $50 then i'd definitely do it. 320gb is plenty storage for my needs...

Share This Page