SSD Problems in new 13" i7 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idyfohu, May 18, 2012.

1. idyfohu macrumors newbie

I'm hoping some of you can help shed some light on my situation.

I have a current 13" 2.8 i7 MBP (upgraded to 16GB of RAM) that I recently installed a 256GB Crucial M4 SSD into. I cloned my previous 40GB SSD (that has Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on it) via Time Machine and the drive is SLOOOOWWW. Startup takes minutes and I'll get beach balls nearly every 5-15 minutes (mostly random, even while browsing the web (non flash or graphic intensive sites) and more frequently when using more CPU intensive programs such as Photoshop.

I've repaired permissions, zapped PRAM, and can't figure out the issue. I've been running this setup for the last week, hoping it would work itself out, but unfortunately that hasn't been the case.

I've ran the OWC 40GB SSD in the MBP (the physical drive instead of the Crucial) and it's fast and speedy, just like I'd expect this Crucial M4 SSD to run...I can't figure out the problem. :(

Hopefully you can help out and I look forward to any advice you can lend.

Thanks in advance! :eek:

2. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Has the Crucial M4 been updated to the latest firmware? Also, you could try reinstalling OS X for a nice clean feeling.

3. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i have the 256 in my 13" mbp, and works great.
    i'd contact crucial, especially since the 40GB works..

4. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

I just put 256GB M4 (shipped with latest 000F firmware) in a late 2011 15" MBP. I am using the Trim Enabler app, did an Internet Recovery clean install and am getting repeatable 250+ MBs writes and 490-500 MBs reads. I also have 16GB of Corsair RAM (the stuff selling for $100 at Amazon right now) and have no beach balls, stalls or any other problem. So there isn't a systemic incompatibility.

There was another thread here somewhere where a guy had a similar problem and it turned out to be bad RAM. I would try different RAM (just to make sure) and then I might wipe the SSD and try a clean install (not a clone from another drive). If that still has issues, I would RMA the SSD as defective.

5. idyfohu thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually have the same Corsair RAM and the computer is working fine with the current RAM installed w/ the 40GB SSD. Looks like I need to pony up the cash and buy a copy of Snow Leopard or Lion and see if that solves the problems. Such a pain in the arse. Ugh.

6. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

You don't have Lion, you're slow. no wonder probably.

7. Arni99 macrumors regular

Had firmware 000F in use with a restored Time Machine Backup and couldn't even get to the desktop on my late 2011 MBP 13" i5 2,4Ghz running Lion 10.7.4. It booted forever....
    I downgraded to firmware 309 and no issues since then. Am using the 512GB m4 Crucial SSD.

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I doubt thats likely the issue. Factory defaulting the OS is more of a windows fix, compared to OSX. I would at least check how it runs with the ram that came with the laptop, and also upgrade/downgrade SSD firmware if necessary.

9. mstgkillr macrumors regular

I had two bad 256GB Cruical M4's in a row and bad Corsair 16GB RAM... Worst luck ever!