SSD problems with nrMBP 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DavidLynch, Jul 27, 2015.

1. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I recently upgraded the stock HDD in my 2012 non-retina MBP to a PNY XLR8 240GB SSD. Noticeable boost in speed, but some sleep/wake problems have followed. If the laptop if sleeping for a while (overnight, several hours), it won't wake up. The screen will stay black for several seconds and then get a soft glow and I eventually have to hard reboot. Sometimes when booting up the screen stays white for several seconds before showing any progress also. Luckily, I'm still within the return window, but I'd like to get something that I know won't have issues. I'm looking at the Samsung Evo 850 drive. Has anyone had issues with this one or is there another that is recommended? Thanks!

To note, there does seem to be a firmware update for my PNY drive but with a Windows only installer.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

You might want to check with the manufacturer of the SSD first to see if there's something they recommend.

3. DavidLynch thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've sent them an email describing the issue and asking about that firmware update, but haven't gotten a reply. I'm going to give them a bit of a chance to respond, but I don't want to fall out of the return window on the drive either.

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

I did a quick search, and found mixed reviews on the PNY. The Samsung drive appears to be better suited to working in a MBP than the PNY.

5. ajcgn macrumors regular

ajcgn

I Used to have this problem.

it went away when I upgraded to an SSD because I had issues with the original hard drive on my early 2011 MBP

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It sounds liek a typical firmware issue to me.

I'd reccomend crucial which seem to be rock solid in macs at the moment, with even the samsung drives having some firmware issues over the last year.

The MX200 series (or MX100 series) will be perfect for you and they are similar pricewise to the samsung if not a little cheaper on average.