SSD provided by Apple worth the extra cost?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TheAnswer 03, Sep 11, 2011.

1. TheAnswer 03 macrumors newbie

Thinking about getting an iMac which would be used for day to day tasks, primarily web browsing, iTunes etc.

The base 21.5" $1199 should be more than enough but I really need a quiet system and I heard some complaints of the HDD noise, while others have had no issues. I'm aware that there's different brands of HDDs used resulting in mixed experiences so the only safe bet is getting an SSD, but I would have to choose the $1499 iMac in order to upgrade to SSD and pay $500 on top of that for the SSD.

I don't have the tools or knowledge to install an SSD myself and no Apple stores near me if there's issues; I'm not really sure it's worth the premium cost :confused:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sounds like the HD model will be fine. I don't think it's worth it to pay 800$ just for an SSD, especially with your usage.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If your primary concern is the noise, don't worry about it. That HDD will make some noise when the machine is starting and you first launch your apps, but after that you will only here a very slight HD noise. It really is barely noticeable.

Now if you are after speed, the SSD does make a big difference and you will have to decide if the cost is worth it.

4. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

I sent an iMac 27" 2010 i5 back and bought a 2010 i7 with SSD [both refurbs] because the HD sound was unsatisfactory.

It wasn't outrageously noisy, but gave off a spasmodic gurgling noise that we found too annoying/intrusive when watching or listening to stuff. It wasn't only at the launch of apps.

The SSD cost more, is smaller [256GB] but we're very happy with our decision.

5. err404 macrumors 68020

It's not that the HDD is particularly loud, rather it's just closer to you ears due to the iMac design.
    Adding RAM helps reduce the disk activity.
    I'd like a pure SSD setup, but the size is too restrictive and a hybrid SSD+HDD solution defeats the goal.

6. qap macrumors 6502

qap

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.842; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Same here, 2010 iMac quad 2.8ghz with 1tb WD HD sold and bought 2011 27 2.7ghz only SSD. And I'm very happy :D no noise (other the fans and psu noise, almost inaudible) and very very fast without firware troubles, trim hacks, cables issue, i can read the ssd temp etcc...

For example I sleep with my iMac near me (in stop mode during the night) and I use Awaken to wake up, with the HD when I woke up the first thing that I heard was the mmmhhhhvvvvvvvvvvvtzktzk sound from the HD and after the beepbeep from awaken, now I hear only the Beeepbeep and nothing else :D

Oh and with The HD the imac runs very hot, with the ssd only the imac is always cold (the top is almost warm, with the HD and same specs the top is hot!)

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Now I am making this sound out loud all alone in my den. :D

8. TheAnswer 03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just based on the few posts in this thread, already different opinions on the HDD noise. Leaning towards the SSD at the moment, my current PC (and ones I've used in the past), the fans were very loud the moment you turn them on and if the HDD does bug me in the iMac, this would defeat the purpose of me buying one :(

Also I'm currently using a 24" 1080p display so I don't know about downsizing to 21.5" and the 2560 x 1440 of the 27" would make web pages super tiny :(

*sigh*

9. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

SSD via apple is not worth it. Buy it yourself and ask them to install it if it comes be. Do not give them $800 for an SSD or more ram. You might as well burn the cash.

10. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

I'm sorry my EXPERIENCE doesn't agree with you.

1. I've been running a 2007 iMac 24" 2.4 for four years with no complaints about the noise. Surely this disproves your suggestion that the iMac form factor is the issue.
    2. I had 12GB RAM installed in the 2010 iMac i5 but this didn't resolve the issue at all.
    3. The cost is not insubstantial for the SSD mod but the investment in an iMac itself is far too much TO PUT UP WITH A NAGGING CHARACTERISTIC.

OP by all means use Apple's 3 week return window to try the standard HDD option first.