SSD question for Macbook pro 13" 2.26ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrKay, Aug 12, 2010.

1. MrKay macrumors newbie

Hi guys

am new hear but all ways been reading post hear

am thinking of adding a ssd hard drive from owc 120gb or 240gb i have a macbook pro 13in 2.26ghz 4gb ram and 500gb hard drive will the upgrade beat the i5 macbook pro 15in 2.4ghz stock for boot time and opening apps and other stuff because if it does then i can wait for the next macbook pro or imac 27in update that will come in 2011 hopefully with usb 3.0 and other extra stuff and one more question is the imac 27in quad core 2.93ghz has each core 2.93ghz or is it all together with all 4 cores 2.93ghz and any good ssd that you would recommend me thanks

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

hey well from your post it sounds like you might be able to wait until 2011 to look at your options so if that's the case just wait because intel is supposed to come out with new ssds sometime before the end of the year which will probably put it at or above it's competition as usual and will cause other manufacturers to drop their prices so thats always good but yes the owc drive will make your machine faster than one with the same specs but with a regular hard drive so if you need speed then it's a worthwhile upgrade but like i said earlier if u can wait until 2011 do so the landscape will probably be different and you can search the forum for recommendations on ssds because people have different reasons and the question gets asked alot so there is lots of info good luck

3. MrKay thread starter macrumors newbie

@Eddyisgreat thanks for your reply

any idea if the imac 27" 2.93ghz quad core has each core at 2.93ghz or are they all together make up 2.93ghz because i told the apple guy this and he said all the core together make 2.93ghz and other people say each core has 2.93ghz times 4 because it has 4 cores is this right thanks

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

no that apple store guy was mistaken I mean if it were 4 cores which added up to 2.93 ghz then the only advantage it would be to a single core machine would be that it could handle more streams at a slower clock rate which is lame

each core will run at 2.93 ghz but if you are running something really intensive that's kicking your machines ass then the i7 has turbo boost will ramp it up by an extra amount (I can't tell you exactly how much) and with hyperthreading you're machine will be able to run 8 seperate threads at once

but don't think of it as having a machine with 11.72 Ghz (2.93 x 4) because each core is running at 2.93 and many applications only take advantage of one core at a time with exceptions being like media rendering or something so instead of being able to do one thing really fast you'll be able to do a whole bunch of things quickly i hope that makes sense someone else will explain if needed

5. MrKay thread starter macrumors newbie

@Eddyisgreat

thank you so much i was put off by what the apple guy told me and stop my purchase of the new imac 27" 2.93ghz and stop the selling of my macbook pro 2.26ghz cause i was gonna sell that and add the money and get the imac for my birthday that is 5th of september so that's why i wanted to add the ssd for the macbook pro mid 2009 2.26ghz what do you think i should add the ssd or buy the imac 27" 2.93ghz the only thing i will be doing is surfing and a little bit of work like word and watch movies and anime or should i upgrade the ssd like you said before and then wait for an updated imac in 2011 because i can wait to problem thanks again

6. itripped macrumors member

Dude, if you are only surfing and watching anime, why are you upgrading at all? Is your machine slow? I'm thinking you should be able to do all those things just fine. Maybe get a 2.5" external drive to hold all those movies and anime shows you are downloading instead.

7. mark28 macrumors 68000

1. Yes, a 13 MBP with SSD will beat a MBP i5 with standard HDD in boot time and opening programs.
    2. 2.93 ghz each core
    3. Intel SSD's have been working great with MBP's from what I hear on this board.

8. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

I just put in a SSD in my 13" 2.26 and all i can say is wow what a difference its like a new computer granted the computer is only late 09' i think. i still have the original 4gb memory.
    I booted up my late 08 15" 2.53 at the same time as my 13" and the 13" won by almost 30sec

9. MrKay thread starter macrumors newbie

@frunkis54

thanks for your reply what ssd make and model do you have thanks

10. MrKay thread starter macrumors newbie

11. MrKay thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys i found a Intel SSD X25-M 160GB G2 for £247 should i buy it what do you guys think and recommend thanks