SSD question for old MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jc1864, Jul 22, 2016.

1. jc1864 macrumors newbie

I have an accent MacBook Pro, it is 3.1, Intel core 2 duo, 2.2ghz, 1 processor. And the serial No is W87****** I'm not sure about the year but it was a long time ago that I bought it. It's been a great purchase but it's really slowing down now. I have been recommended an SSD on here and I hear that they can be a new lease of life, nd just wondered if anyone else has done the same? What would work with this particular model and what brand you recommend. I'm using it purely for music projects now on Garage band and Logic nothing else. Thanks.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Any model of SSD. They will work fine. Might as well go for the cheaper options (no point coughing up for an 850 EVO/PRO) as your SATA interface would be maxed before it gets anywhere close to exploiting quicker R/W speeds on the SSD.

It'll definitely give it new life. The HDD is almost always the hardware bottleneck in laptops.

3. jc1864 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice one cheers, so any brand is pretty much ok?

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yep! Feel free to reply with a link if you're not sure how the brand holds up. Crucial will be perfect if you're in doubt.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

With an older MacBook, the slower SATA bus becomes "the equalizer".
    Because all SSD's are limited "by the bus", more money won't buy faster speeds.

As keys mentioned above, Crucial is a good brand.
    I've also had good luck with the "Sandisk Plus" line.

6. Andy2k macrumors member

Is it one of the white MacBooks? Just stop by Best Buy and get a Sandisk SSD. You can buy a 240 GB drive for around $60. That's probably still larger than the one that came with it. I put an SSD in an old 2006 white MacBook. It really was a night and day difference. Even that 10 year old laptop could boot in about 8 seconds and bye bye stupid spinning beach ball.