ssd question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tug, Mar 12, 2011.

1. tug macrumors 6502

hi guys, im running 13" book 2.4ghz with 4gig ram aluminum early 2009 10.6.6 and just wondering would it be worth the expense of installing a ssd, i noticed they are quite reasonable at crucial, has anybody done this? and if so what difference did it make performance wise. thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It will speed up everything that requires disk access, such as booting and opening apps&files. Hard drive is the biggest bottleneck in today's computers so you will definitely notice some difference.

3. tug thread starter macrumors 6502

wow that was a quick response hellhammer, thanks mate, have you installed one in yours?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I have one in my MBA and a normal HD in my iMac. SSD doesn't really speed up the task you are doing (e.g. web browsing) but it makes the machine feel more responsive. IMO ≤128GB SSD is a good deal but anything over that starts to be a bit pricey

5. tug thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks mate, i do video editing and the like, so i appreciate your advice and will shop around to get the best deal. thanks again.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you need your optical drive? The best option would be to install the SSD in the place of the SuperDrive. That way you wouldn't have to get a big SSD (less than 128GB) since you could put only OS X and apps in the SSD and leave other files in the HD. Otherwise you will either need a big SSD or hassle with external HDs.

7. ozred macrumors 6502

8. tug thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the suggestion mate but i use the drive a lot so i dont want to use that space. its ok though i dont mind spending a few gbp on this. oh, im also toying with the idea of buying the new 24" imac and have them put ssd in for me. or i might wait untill ssd's are more of a standard than an added expense. i read somewhere this will soon become the norm for the more expensive models.

9. tug thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks ozred, i will bare that in mind.

10. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

well, theres not much who'd be selling their SSD's. And if the OP buys one now, i dont think that he'll be selling that any sooner or later. And if he decides to sell it and he bought a 128Gb one, since SSD will become standards in computers within 3-4 years, and SSD's normal lifetime could go up to more than you need and definitely more than a lifetime of a normal hard drive, he wouldnt be able to sell his SSD for much at all in the future.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

NAND flash cells will lose their charge after ~10 years.

12. Lemonfudge macrumors newbie

Not trying to hijack a thread or anything here, but my question is so similar I hated to make a new one. I have a late 2007 macbook white, 2.0ghz core 2 duo 4gb ram, with a 7200rpm hard drive. I'm considering an SSD, but my windows experience index shows the following:

Processor: 5.1
    RAM: 5.1
    Graphics: 3.5
    Gaming Graphics: 3.1
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

because my hard drive is the highest, it isn't a bottleneck, right? Does this mean I won't get a significant gain from SSDing? I don't want my ~$200 to go to waste.

13. superspartan macrumors member

It will still make a marked improvement and you'll find your Macbook will feel much faster.

Just yesterday, I dropped a 64gb ADATA S596 TURBO SSD in my 1.83 Core Duo (circa 2006) MB and I'm really pleased. My MacBook is kind of a dinosaur at this point, but the SSD is possibly the most noticeable upgrade I've ever performed on any computer.

14. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

This is a great idea. The only catch is, if you make your SSD your boot drive, which would be the only sensible thing to do, you need to make sure that it's in the main HDD slot, and not the optical slot. The machine will look to the main HDD slot for waking from sleep, and if your boot drive isn't there it can freeze entirely, forcing a restart.

15. kierennyc macrumors regular

Is this actually the case though? Do you have first hand experience?

I remember people made a big deal out of this a while back, but ive read numerous times now that the boot drive CAN be located in the optibay without issues.

Id really like a definitive answer on this as I want to keep my current 1TB drive in the main HD slot and put an SSD boot drive in a optibay.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Thanks.

16. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Depending on your needs, a lot of the manufacturers are coming out with their gen 3 ssd's now that have good performance increases. I would like at the x25-m's if your looking for a good standard performance ssd with reliability.

17. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Personally I wouldn't use windows experience as an end all be all of your computer performance ranking, especially a mac. A ssd will still be a great performance boost.

18. JSMencer macrumors regular

very interesting thread. I too am glad I looked at it, I have been looking at SSD's. If you take your Optical drive out, how would a SSD fit in the space? Isn't the optical drive bay a bigger space in a macbook? ALSO how would you install a new OS if you bought the dvd from apple? I am considering this.

19. JSMencer macrumors regular

Does anyone have a picture of one installed in the optical bay of a macbook.

20. JSMencer macrumors regular

21. Lemonfudge macrumors newbie

Lifehacker did a good article on the optical drive SSD thing.

http://lifehacker.com/#!5541774/how-to-install-a-solid+state-drive-in-your-macbook

Apparently it works on any macbook, just look up your model on iFixit, and find optical drive replacement instructions. I checked out the process for the macbook white, and it looks a little too l33t for me, so I'll probably just drop the cash for a higher capacity SSD and keep the optical.