SSD Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MKang25, Jul 28, 2011.

1. MKang25 macrumors regular

I have a 2011 15" MBP, I was looking at getting either the 128GB Crucial M4 or OWC Mercury Extreme. So I am not a heavy user, I do moderate video editing and photoshop but nothing heavy, so I was wondering if I would notice the speed difference between the M4 and the faster Sandforce SSD.

Also I know for the Crucial M4 needs the 02 firmware. I read on other sites about stuff on LPM, AHCI, IDE mode stuff I haven't seen before, do these things apply for OS X. Are these things that I will have to worry about when I boot into bootcamp.

I plan on getting a 128GB SSD, but would there be a big performance hit compared to a 256GB SSD. Would there be a loss in performance since the 128GB SSD I would buy would be almost fully used?

2. cinek macrumors 6502

huh?

SSD is an SSD they last around 10 years, I doubt there'll be any performance loss.

As for faster & slower SSDs if you get a 275mb/s read/write it'll be enough, you won't notice much difference between that and lets say 400mb/s read etc unless you're reading/writing massive files (few GBs at a time). Speed isn't everything in SSDs

3. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

I think he's asking if there will be any loss of performance due to the fact he's going to nearly fill a 128 gb ssd completely.

I dont think you need to worry about keeping say 30gb or a percentage free on an ssd to maintain the performance of the drive like with a HDD.

but who knows i could be uninformed.

4. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I really want to pull the trigger and buy the 128GB Crucial M4, but it just seems too expensive at the moment. I'm waiting till the 1280GB or 250GB will drop down to $130 or $120.

5. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Having a nearly completely filled HD or SSD is not a good idea. It's usually suggested to leave at least 5%-10% of it free so that the OS can play around with virtual memory.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

6. MKang25 thread starter macrumors regular

Would the performance hit between a nearly filled and semi filled be noticeable. The 256GB SSDS are just really expensive.