SSD Question.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Thadon, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Thadon macrumors member

So, I have been reading all the SSD threads and have pretty much made up my mind on putting one in my 27" iMac. My question is though, how does OS X handle putting one in? I'd like to run the OS and applications off the SSD and keep all my files on the current 1TB hard drive. Would it simply be two different "hard drives" where I just choose to save my files to the 1TB hd or does OS X do some crazy wizardry to make them appear as one?

This is the SSD I am looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167042

Edit: I am also checking out this SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147134

2. Eves apple macrumors member

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yep, it can work exactly like you think. Nothing weird software/settings-wise that you have to do to get it to work. Just reinstall or migrate your OS onto the SSD.

4. sartios macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't you have to enable trim?

5. Movaiz macrumors newbie

Go with the Intel SSD they are the best when it comes to reliability though I think you should go with the Intel 320 instead of 510. The 510 seems like an over kill, I have an Intel 320 in my MacBook Pro and it is very fast. Then again my MacBook Pro doesn't support Sata 3.

6. Thadon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies! Can't wait to get a SSD now. :)

7. Dresevski macrumors 6502

I have a vertex 3 and it is amazingly fast. I made sure to install the OS and boot from it while the drive was still external. Then when I had it all set up installed it within a few hours one afternoon. The hardest part is getting all of the lint out from behind the screen at the final step of reassembly.

Go SATA III since you can do it and use the 22 pin to 13 pin cable found on amazon, thus no fan issues. The drive will show up as your second drive.

8. Thadon thread starter macrumors member

I found the cable, thanks! That is prolly the only thing I am worried about is all the dust and w.e else decides to find a home while I put the SSD in.