SSD Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PriestyUK, Aug 13, 2012.

1. PriestyUK macrumors newbie

Samsung SSD 830 2.5inch SATA III 6GBps 256GB
    Will I get away with installing this SSD drive in my iMac?

Model Identifier: iMac8,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00

Current HDD: Model: 320Gb WDC WD3200AAJS-40VWA1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-2-5i...pr_product_top

Will the 2.5 - 3.5 adapter work with my iMac if I were to install this?

What other parts will I require? I have read a few tutorials and have built comps in the past so know what Im doing, just would like a hand on selection.

Is there a difference between these two SSD's or just price?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-2-5inch-Desktop-Accessory-Norton/dp/B005OK6VJ0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?tag=5336090759-21

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/harddrives-internal/solidstate/128gbandabove/Samsung/MZ-7PC256NEU.html#utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

Many thanks

PriestyUK

2. Reason077, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

I have exactly the same setup. Samsung SSD 830 256GB in an iMac8,1. Works great with Mountain Lion and Trim Enabler. Huge speed up vs the old HDD.

Got mine a while back when amazon.co.uk were selling them for about £130!

I looked for a 2.5->3.5" adapter bracket that would work with the iMac but most of them looked like they wouldn't fit properly with the iMac's HDD clips/rails. You would need to find a bracket that is the full length of a 3.5" drive so that the rails can hold it properly, and positions the SSD in the right place so that the SATA cable can reach it.

In the end I just used some (removable) 3M double-sided foam tape and taped the drive into position inside of the iMac's case. Works fine so far :). You can get away with this because the SSD weighs almost nothing.

3. PriestyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Hay Reason, thanks for the reply.

Glad you saw a difference, can't wait to do it. Do all Sata cables connect up with the Samsung SSD (I won't need any adaptors?)

Dam you managed to get that cheap....256Gb yeah? Lucky so and so. Im in no rush so may keep a eye on prices then.

Would also like to fix it more secure as have kids who poke and enjoy breaking things, is there any 2.5-3.5 adaptors that you know will work?

Thanks again

PriestyUK

4. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

You won't need any adapters for the SATA cable. 2.5" and 3.5" SATA connectors are the same, so the iMac's cable will just plug straight in.

I don't know of any 2.5"->3.5" bracket adapters that will fit, but I'm sure they must be out there.

Honestly though, I wouldn't spend too much effort or money worrying about it. A mounting bracket/adapter would make the job slightly less fiddly, but some foam tape, 3M command strips, etc will do the job fine. Your kids won't be able to poke and break it unless they are in the habit of disassembling your iMac!

5. PriestyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

See what your saying with the foam tape and 3M strips will stick it right in tight, what parts did you foam tape etc?

If I Time Machine to my external hard drive will I be able to restore once I do a fresh install? I currently have Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, If I purchase and install Mountain Lion will likes of MS Office copy over and still work etc

6. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

You're just taping the drive directly to chassis inside the iMac, in a position that reaches the SATA cable. It's easy to secure it because SSDs are very light, and there's plenty of space once the 3.5" drive is out.

Of course, ideally you should do it in a way thats easily removable in case you want to upgrade again later, which is why 3M strips would be a good idea.

I recommend getting an external USB 3.5" HDD dock or enclosure. Once you've installed OS X on your new SSD, you can run Migration Assistant to restore data/apps/etc directly from the old HDD. Time Machine will work too, of course.

7. PriestyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input Reason, been a big help :)

8. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

9. PriestyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone help, I can only find disk 2 of my Mac OS X disks, does anyone have disk one that they could share? (Disk Version 1.0) Snow Leopard 10.6 :(

----------

Cheers pjarvi will have a look ;)

10. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Interesting topic and question posed here. My question is to those who have this particular model iMac and have successfully removed the 320gb HD and replaced it with an SSD. How difficult was it to take everything apart. I have watched youtube videos and seems rather complicated. Other people here say it was rather easy. Comments?

11. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

Taking it apart is easy. It's putting everything back together that's the tricky part ;)

Seriously, it's not too bad. Obviously you need to watch the videos and make sure you're comfortable with that sort sort of thing, and make sure you have the right tools.

The trickiest bit is probably dealing with the LCD. You can opt to remove it completely, which means unplugging some difficult-to-reach cables. Or, the way I prefer is to just unscrew it, and balance it against something. This is slightly precarious but gives you enough space to replace the HDD without having to unplug and reconnect the display cables, saving time.

12. paul-n macrumors regular

I replaced the hdd with a Samsung 830, it worked fine, but it took some, because you have to be very careful. I unplugged the all the cables on the 2011 model, bacause without a hadn't any chance to reach the drive.

13. PriestyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Reason quick question, after install can I then just boot from cd/usb and go ahead and install Snow Lep. then after that and running software updates then install Mountain Lion yeah? I dont have to prep the Samsung SSD in anyway prior to install? Can you create partions during Snow Lep install like you can with windows? What format did you use for your SSD?

Sorry for all the "Silly" questions, 1st install on a mac b4

Kind Regards

EDIT: Hahaha 1 more thing, on our model is there enough slack on the lcd connections that if you had two pairs of hands to have one hold the lcd and the ofher to reach in pop out old hdd and then connect and stick in ssd?

14. Reason077, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

That should work, but another (quicker) way to do it is just buy Mountain Lion first through the App Store, burn the Mountain Lion installer image to a USB drive (or DVD) and install it directly on to your SSD.

No prepping to do. Yes, you can run Disk Utility from the installer if you want to partition for boot camp etc. "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" is the format you want for OS X.

Yes, with the 20" iMac8,1 this is possible and it's how I did it. Saves time by not having to unplug and reconnect the tricky display cables.

15. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Having opened my iMac a couple of times ... I would definitely take the time to unplug the display cables before trying to work inside on the disk drive. It would only take one slip or bump to damage the cable/connector or snap the connector off of the circuit board. :eek:

If this is your first time inside an iMac, removing the LCD panel to give you better visibility and elbow room will be well worthwhile. Just do it carefully and put it somewhere where it will not get dusty while it is out (I use the foam sheet which was packaged around the iMac when I received it).

-howard

16. PriestyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Managed to install my Samsung 830 SSD today, what a difference my imac is so snappy now its def made a difference.

Very pleased. Thanks for all the help and advice guys and you reason cheers m8 :D