SSD Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 4God, Dec 14, 2012.

1. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

2. jvpython macrumors 6502

It's a SATA 2 drive so you won't get the maximum speed out of your MacBook Pro.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

4. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

Oh, forgot to mention that it's going in the optical bay. (it was suggested by MacSales to use SATA II for the optical bay)

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Put it in the HDD Bay and utilize SATAIII, don't listen to MacSales, they are overpriced idiots with their own agenda.

Put the HDD in the Optibay because a HDD can't even utilize SATAIII anyway, then stick the SSD in the Main HDD Bay so it can utilize SATAIII.

6. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

Did that already, I have the original HDD in the optical bay now and an OCZ 120 gig SSD in the main bay. Was gonna replace the HDD in the optical bay with said drive above.

7. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

From MacSales.com

Special compatibility notes related to use of this product with 6Gb/s SSDs in the following machines:
    2011 MacBook Pro 15" (Model ID MacBookPro8,2)
    2011 MacBook Pro 17" (Model ID MacBookPro8,3)
    OPTICAL BAY: The optical bay interface in these machines may either be SATA Revision 2.0 3Gb/s OR SATA Revision 3.0 6Gb/s. There is no way to specify/order this data interface with Apple, but you can confirm what interface/link speed version your optical bay offers via the Apple System Profiler.

Testing has demonstrated that Apple factory hardware does not reliably support a 6G (6Gb/s) Solid State Drive or Hard Disk Drive in the optical bay of 2011 MacBook Pros (ModeI ID8,1; 8,2; 8,3). If your OWC Data Doubler bundle comes with a 6G drive, you should ONLY install that drive in the main drive bay and utilize the Data Doubler to re-task your existing drive or install a new 3G SSD or HDD in the optical bay. PRE-2011 models can utilize a 6G drive in the optical bay, but will do so at a reduced 3G (3Gb/s) speed.

8. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

My system indicates 6Gb link speed on the optical connection, can anyone dispute MacSales' claim?

Intel 6 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel
    Product: 6 Series Chipset
    Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

9. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Mine too. These are the ones that aren't reliably supporting SATA 3 connection speeds. It may work, it may not, and it may work only intermittently. Obviously that's not going to suffice for an SSD or HDD, so you'll be wanting to use a SATA 2 drive.

10. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

Yeah, I thought so. Thanks for your input/confirmation.