SSD Question's; Extremely Puzzled.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CaucasionInvasn, Nov 24, 2009.

1. CaucasionInvasn macrumors member

Hi guys to start it off i no about SSD and no how to switch it out from an HDD on the hardrive. I understand the basic knowledge but need a few things cleared up.

I will be purchasing a Macbook 13inch for Christmas and was wondering if i should get the 128GB Samsung drive (i believe it costs 360) or should i search for an Intel? Which i hear are much better. Is it a 2.5inch correct? And i was searching for a cheap one under 200; 80GB will do also. Does anyone have a good site or a link, Thanks.

Also when i recieve the SSD i will put it in before ever turning my labtop on. Will anything else need to be done such as reformatting the OSX or anything else? Or right when i put it in will it be ready to go?

Thanks for all the help and opinions and links. I appreciate it.:)

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Considering the operating system is stored on the HDD I doubt it will start right up and boot into OS X with a new blank SSD...

2.5" drive is correct, SATA.

You will install the drive, then insert the Restore disks that came with your laptop. From there you will use Disk Utility to format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then install the system with the same disk.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. CaucasionInvasn thread starter macrumors member

i cant just pop it in and go even if it hasent been used before

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Right. The Operating System is on the hard drive, 1, 2 the drive will either be blank or formatted to NTFS. Either way you will need to format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)