SSD questions (MacPro 1.1)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by yassi, Nov 16, 2014.

1. yassi macrumors member

Hi all,

I would like to get some advise in upgrading my MacPro 1.1 (running 10.9.5) with the help of SFOTT) to a SSD drive.

I need only one drive (like the Samsung 840 EVO 256GB), the question is: should I attach the drive to the internal SATA2 bus or should I buy a PCI-E adapter (like the one mentioned here in other threads) for mSATA drive(s)?

Will I get more speed thru PCI-E?

Thx,
    yassi

2. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

I upgraded to an SSD a few years ago on my Mac Pro 1,1 and I just put it in one of the standard bays. The speed has just blown me away, hands down the best update I've ever done. I would suggest you do the same, and if you REALLY feel you need more, then buy the adapter after?

3. ssgbryan macrumors 6502a

ssgbryan

You have 2 unused SATA ports on the logic board. I plugged both of my SSDs into that and made a RAID 0 for my boot drive. I kept the 4 drive bays free for large hard drives.

4. yassi thread starter macrumors member

Hi guys,

thanks for your reply.

May I ask you whiche SSD you're using?
    Do you have any positive experience with the Transcend SSD370 (cheapere than Samsung EVO).

yassi

5. ssgbryan macrumors 6502a

ssgbryan

I don't have one of those, I have a pair of OWC Mercury 3G (240Gb ea). I have been quite pleased with them.

6. Pending macrumors regular

I use a Samsung.
    You will appreciate the upgrade with either.

7. resale macrumors newbie

If I recall correctly, the Mac Pro 1,1 has Pcie 1.1 and Sata 2. Sata 2 has a higher bandwidth than Pcie 1.1 so the on board Sata 2 connections are the way to go.

8. yassi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, guys.

Then I will try with the Transcend SSD370 (256GB).

yassi

9. tadeeb macrumors newbie

Multiple SSDs on MacPro1,1/2,1

I would like to take suggestions if any of you on a MacPro1,1/2,1 made use of multiple SSDs(2 or 3) into a single Logical Volume so you can have a larger volume? What is your experience with that - any performance degrade or issues with Boot or Yosemite OS upgrades?

I have 4 SSDs all sitting in the bay. Each one is slight variant of other Samsung EVO 250GB, Intel 240GB, Samsung Pro 512GB, PNY 240GB. Right now I have Mavericks on 1 SSD and other SSD is Yosemite.
    I want to combine 3 of the SSDs and make it a larger volume and leave 1 SSD as is (for later OS upgrades or anything else).

I know some have done RAID configurations, but not interested in RAID as I may need a RAID Controller card. I not too worried about the Data as I do have other ways to back up my data. So I was thinking if it is feasible to use CoreStorage/Fusion Drive to create a large Logical Volume.

Any thoughts or issues or experiences would much be appreciated.

Yeah upgraded the CPUs and upgraded the EFI to make it 2,1.

10. yaboo007 macrumors newbie

I have a 240gb ssd which is used in the second dvd rom bay, with a sata cable running from the motherboard.

I also had a pci-e ssd card, but seems not to be able to use as a boot disk in 10.9 but as a storage drive.

11. jfalberti macrumors newbie

jfalberti

Creating Fusion Drive

I created a Fusion drive for my Mac Pro 1,1 by combining a 128 GB OCZ SSD and Western Digital 1 TB HHD, and using the Core Services function of Disk Utility to combine them into a logical volume group, and then carve out the logical volume.

The instructions to do this are at this link. Even though it specifies using a SSD and HDD, you could use all SSDs, if you want to.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2014011/how-to-make-your-own-fusion-drive.html