SSD Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JefferyShin, Sep 17, 2010.

1. JefferyShin macrumors regular

JefferyShin

Hello,

I have 2 questions regarding SSDs / Optibay.

1. I'm stuck on deciding between 2 SSDs.
    OCZ Vertex 80GB for about $100, and OCZ Vertex 2 40GB for about $100 as well.

2. What would go in my SSD? Would 40GB be enough? I have 20GB of music, and I just calculated my home folder to be about 130GB. I have a 250GB HD that will be in my HD bay.

Thanks.

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Make sure you get one with a Sandforce controller. The new OCZ's have them, but I don't know about the previous gen.

3. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

Does the MBP new gen have enough space for the existing hdd AND a second drive? or are you replacing your existing drive?

4. JefferyShin thread starter macrumors regular

JefferyShin

The Vertex 2 has Sandforce, while Vertex 1 doesn't. What difference does it make?

And ReflexReact, I'm taking out my optical drive and installing an SSD in the OptiBay.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

You can put 2 drives in if you swap out the SuperDrive. This is a pretty common procedure.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The Sandforce controller dramatically reduces SSD degradation. I have the OWC Mercury, which also has the Sandforce controller.

7. x0r-lord macrumors member

The Vertex 2 is superior by far, Check out tomshardware.com

but note that the newer MBPs apparent have a 1.5Gb/s bandwidth limitation on the SATA 3Gb/s interface (check system profiler) - Kinda wish Apple had changed this for the 2010 generation... :(

the macbook white doesn't, it gets a full 3Gb/s out of its SATA connections..:confused:

I have 2 SSDs that I don't use in my mac (their older, but read at more then 300MB/s), one day, I'll get around to empirically testing this..

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

My 17" 2010 i7 disagrees with this assertion.

9. NEvolution macrumors regular

^^

Here's what my System Profiler shows.

Full 3GB/s ?

[​IMG]

Yeah that

:p

10. bamf macrumors 6502

My 15" i5 has both my SSD and my HD (in an optibay) showing as 3Gbps as well. Where are you getting that they sync at 1.5Gbps x0r-lord?

11. x0r-lord macrumors member

I'm sorry, you'r right, it enables it when theres a SSD connected.
    I had't gotten a chance to test it yet, I look forward to seeing the bandwidth difference (if any) between a 5400, 7200, and SSD.

its odd that it doesn't support TRIM, such a crucial feature of deleting/writing files on a SSD.

and, btw this is what my current system profiler says about my SATA
    Code:
    Intel 5 Series Chipset:

Vendor:	Intel
      Product:	5 Series Chipset
      Link Speed:	3 Gigabit
      Negotiated Link Speed:	1.5 Gigabit
      Description:	AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Get the Vertex 2 80GB or the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 80GB. Will set you back only about $199 at the max, you could probably find the Vertex 2 on eBay for around $150. Good luck!

13. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Only the stock drives shipped from Apple use 1.5gbps for some reason. Any 3rd party drive installed (HDD or SSD) will boot up at the native 3.0 (not that it matters really, you'll never notice the speed difference).