SSD questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boatel, Mar 5, 2011.

1. boatel macrumors newbie

So, I've just ordered a macbook pro 13 with upgrade to 500 gig HDD and now i'm second guessing not going with the 128 SSD. Should I cancel and go with the SSD? I don't like having external drives (traveling) so is the speed difference that great? Simply put, should I get the SSD and deal with packing drives in suitcase or stick with the 500 HDD? I mainly am not a heavy user but I do plan to edit video.....does this make a difference?

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

If space is important to you and don't want to haul an external drive, stay with the 500GB HDD. Yes, the speed of the SSD is AMAZING! But, it looks like you need space rather than speed especially with video editing. 128GB isn't much especially if you have a lot of music. Don't forget that a bare-bone OS X install is about ~8-9GB too. You can get a minor speed boost upgrading from a 500GB 5400RPM drive to a 7200RPM drive, but I think you should save that money for a future SSD purchase.

If I were you, I'd stay with the 500GB drive for now and wait for these new SSDs that are coming out in the next few months. Intel G3's and OCZ Vertex 3's are coming out with new SSDs that have more space and that are faster than anything on the market now. Price should be a little cheaper, but still expensive compared to traditional HDDs.

3. boatel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I just needed some assurance. So many people have made it seem like not going with SSD will cripple the machine. Now i've just gotta wait until march 10-16th.

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Don't listen to those people. Regular HDDs are still great especially with OS X. Granted I wouldn't go back to those drives. I love my Intel SSD to much! But like you said, with the small capacity you still end up carrying an external drive. Can't wait for the 320GB + Intel drives!

5. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

If you have never had an SSD you will never know what it was like and will likely be just fine! Having an SSD.... it is hard to go back.

6. boatel thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I'm gonna stick with the HDD but I'd like to know what is the common setup for those with small SSD's? Do you store itunes, photos, (large files) etc. on an external in order to benefit from the speed of SSD? And where is the speed noticed? Only on boots and app launching? In a couple of years I hope that we can have speed and size at an affordable price! Thanks for any replies, I've just registered to this forum and it's great.

7. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I have my OS X install, all my music and word documents, and a 30GB Windows 7 VMware Fusion install all on my 160GB SSD. Movies, photos and anything larger than 1GB or so is on a 1TB external drive. Hoping to remove my Superdrive and replace it with a 1TB HDD with one of these: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/DDAMBS0GB/

Anyway, I notice the speed with both cold boot up times and app launching. Safari, iTunes, Word and pretty much all my other apps open up with one bounce.

8. boatel thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. Last question, I promise!:
    If I were to want to upgrade to SSD in the future should I be concerned with these threads that say that only Apple SSD's will support TRIM? I don't even know what that means but it seems to be an issue. (I only know anything about this stuff from these forums).
    Cheers,
    -Boatel

9. toxic macrumors 68000

I wouldn't be concerned...there were plenty of good SSDs before TRIM. OS 10.7 will support TRIM in all compatible SSDs anyway.

I don't find SSDs that amazing. I have one in my laptop...it's nice, but I don't think it's worth that kind of price premium.

10. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

11. scmarcos macrumors member

Are there SSD that I can install by myself that support the hybernate and sleep functions?

12. Arcanii macrumors newbie

I wish apple made it easy to swap drives - taking 10 screws off is a royal pain (and very tiny such that 8 of them will blow away if you sneeze... trust me).

The SSD rocks (I only went with the 128GB - so half full after load up - capacity worries)

I found this, which allows you to replace your DVD with another HDD. So you can have your cake and eat it too (just as long as you don't need a DVD).
    http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

13. scmarcos macrumors member

Thanks but in my mind I would like to wait for vertex 3 and put it inside by myself!! That's way I would prefer to wait!
    My doubt regard the fact that vertex 3 SSD may not work properly with sleep and hybernate functions!
    Optibay is a great solution for extra space at a cheap price!!

14. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

Same here. I so wish I would have replaced the HDD with a larger SSD instead of ordering the 128GB SSD from Apple. But, what's done is done. In another thread somebody posted a video on how easy it is to replace the HDD with SSD. D'oh...so simple even I could have done it. :eek:

15. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

At $90, the 128gb SSD from Apple is a good value. You just don't get to pick the highest end SSD out there.