SSD Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iAmLegend, Mar 9, 2011.

1. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

If my application (say iPhoto) is saved on my SSD, will I be able to import photos to and store them on an external HDD? Will doing so negate the benefits of having apps on a SSD since it will still be accessing data from a HDD?

Also, for those of you going with the 128GB SSD, what is your file storing strategy? External HDD's? Cloud computing?

I would love to make the jump to SSD, but I currently have almost 300GB in media on my iMac (and can only afford the 128GB SSD to start.)

2. pep.pep macrumors member

External HD. I have all my music and documents on that at the moment.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

For your iPhoto Library its easy to put it on an external HDD and then put an alias to the library in your SSD Pictures folder. Everything will work just fine. As for iTunes that takes a little more effort.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Move the library to the external HD and hold alt while starting iTunes to select your library.

5. iAmLegend thread starter macrumors regular

iAmLegend

Great tips gentleman. I figure I'll keep a dozen or so of my favorite albums and a few movies on the SSD library and keep all the other media I listen to or watch maybe a few times a year on the external. Same with photos (keeping only my personal favorites on the SSD to show off while on the road.)

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You've made my life easier. Thanks!