SSD Raid 0 in powerbook/mbp

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by enVisionGTR, Jan 23, 2009.

1. enVisionGTR macrumors newbie

I was wondering if I could install 2 ssds and raid 0 on my 12'' powerbook/ 15'' MBP 2007 - taking out the superdrive and installing the MCE optibay

[​IMG]

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/ .

I very rarely use the optical drive so I won't have much use for it.

Regarding the powerbook, I'm having trouble finding a good IDE SSD so I'm looking at this transcend model

[​IMG]

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3976087&CatId=4220

What kind of performance gains will occur in either/both machines? Any idea how this impacts battery life?

Mbp can wait as the price of SATA SSD's will only drop with time. I'm not so sure about PATA as it's an older interface. I'm in no rush for either one but the idea of SSD raid 0 notebook is interesting. Any thoughts?
    Thanks

2. dmw2692004 macrumors member

this is interesting, I dont see why you wouldnt be able to run them in a RAID 0, and I dont think battery life would be that affected by the SSD's.

Dont hold my word to it though, im just interested in this too.

3. macrumorino macrumors regular

Ah, yes, the rejuvenation of my Tibook... I wanna!

Totally on synch on your uncertainties. That particular model seems to go in and out of availability--as for the 64gb version, it costs $500-600 at the moment... which is a significant fraction of the cost of a new laptop. :D

However, one can dream! In a few months, when their cost comes down... but then, as you say, maybe the manufacturers will have forgotten about PATA aka IDE aka Ultra ATA. :confused:

The MLC version of that drive is already well within the affordable, available range--but there are nasty rumors about its inadequacies in running as an OS drive. Apparently, we'd be better off with the mundane platter, e.g. the WD 250 GB, 5400 RPM, which is less than $100.

There is a glimmer of optimism, though, since there must be a zillion laptops out there--not only the Tibooks :D:D--that would be rejuvenated into a 2009ish performance level, at least for the usual webbing etc.

Come to think of it, the Tibook is already at that performance level. I would just like it to do a better job of running VirtualPC, and maybe some other hoggish app.

4. tm.chen macrumors member

so far I have installed 1 32gb SSD in my PB12" and still waiting for the optibay to arrive to complete the upgrade. I will post updates here when I am done. So far the SSD is working pretty well as a boot drive, but to get the rated specs, you will have to install onyx and turn off journalling.

My current fear is that RAID0 might slow it down instead as it would take up more cpu resources.

5. browndktr macrumors newbie

battery life

I talked with the mce techs about the battery life issue as I am interested in replacing the optical drive in my new 15" mb pro. My plan is to swap the current standard hd out and put it in the optibay and put a small - 128gb - ssd in place of the old HD. The techs said having 2 standard HD's in a Raid 0 or raid 1 array will decrease battery life about 10%. Of course if it is not raided as in my situation it shouldn't decrease the battery life quite as much. Also, the SSD's are slightly more efficient than a standard HD so all together it shouldn't add up to much of a battery life loss.

BCE

6. bugout macrumors 6502a

The MCE optibay is an epic ripoff.

Get this instead...

7. dsa420 macrumors 6502

I just actually upgraded my 2009 MBP with a similar configuration, a 256GB SSD in the traditional HDD slot and another 256GB SSD in the optical bay. I have the drives in a RAID 0 striped array and the speed increase is very noticable (blazing fast).

The battery life decrease is also very noticeable as well, I would say that a 10% decrease is an understatement. In reality you will be looking at a decrease in battery life closer to 20-25%.

The RAID set up is the culperate for the battery drain as I had the standard 500GB HDD running in the optibay (not running RAID) prior to purchasing the 2nd SSD and there were little to no battery drain implications.

8. MattMK45 macrumors regular

I really want an IDE ssd for my powerbook but don't know which one to get, some people say that cheaper ssd s are just as fast as new 7200rpm drives, and some have said just to upgrade to the 2gb 533mhz ram