ssd raid setup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spo002, Nov 29, 2013.

1. spo002 macrumors newbie

I am having a hard time to decide which is the best thing to do to update my MBP late 2011 with 2 ssd's in raid 0.

My current setup is an ssd to boot and hdd containing the user folder with a cuddy in the superdrive slot. I am using a time machine back up.

I am planing to install 2 240GB ssd's with raid 0 so I will have 480GB.

My problem is that I can not install the system from the Time Machine since I use 2 disks now and after the raid setup it will be one.

I think that Time Machine will install all the files that are only on the SSD that the MBP boots from and will not "know" to use the users folder from the HDD.

Is there any way to do it without setting up the system, apps, mail, iphoto, itunes, Font explorer etc etc from scratch?

If I copy the user folder after the setup form time machine to the new raid disk will it work?

2. Mac.User macrumors 6502

I would imagine that you can do a clean install of O X and then tell OS X to do a restore from Time Machine during setup. Just like you would moving from any other machine to a new one.

3. spo002 thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is that it will not restore the user folder located in the other disk.

4. spo002 thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys I have a big problem.

The raid setup doesn't complete.

It is either stucking on "Creating partition map" or "Unmounting disk"

I got 2 Crucial M500 240GB disks and on Disk utility while the process is stuck I see only one has grayed disk1s2 under it.

Any ideas.

Is my sata port problematic?