Ssd raid0

4God

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
So I googled and couldn't find any solid answers. I have an early 2011 15" Macbook Pro. I removed the optical drive and inserted a SATAII (3Gbs) 480GB SSD. My question is this: I have a 480GB SATAIII (6Gbs) drive to put in the main drive bay and was wondering if I could RAID0 the two drives. I know that's not the ideal thing to do (should use a SATAII 3Gbs drive) but will it work at the lower connection rate?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
So I googled and couldn't find any solid answers. I have an early 2011 15" Macbook Pro. I removed the optical drive and inserted a SATAII (3Gbs) 480GB SSD. My question is this: I have a 480GB SATAIII (6Gbs) drive to put in the main drive bay and was wondering if I could RAID0 the two drives. I know that's not the ideal thing to do (should use a SATAII 3Gbs drive) but will it work at the lower connection rate?
If any drive in a raid 0 fails you lose all your data. Make sure you keep good backups.

4God

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
If any drive in a raid 0 fails you lose all your data. Make sure you keep good backups.
Yes, absolutely. Thank you. I'm taking a chance to see if I can get better performance out of FCPX with this setup. I know, most recommend using a separate drive but I know folks using internal SSD's and having great success with it. I should be fine as long as I have external backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.