Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
I've MBP 13" with 2.4GHz Core2Duo processor. I want to know which SSD will work based upon SSD buying guid sticky in my case as things keep changing in terms of technology. At present my MBP has 8GB RAM + 750GB 7200RPM drive + Superdrive.

Which SSD to buy?

1. Capacity. How much capacity are you going to need? This is the number one element in determining what SSD to buy.
I'm looking for minimum 120GB SSD to use along with my existing HDD.

2. Budget. This could be the first one too but in my opinion, it is useless to buy an SSD that cannot fulfill your needs.
I'm looking to spend around $200 for my purchase.

3. Mac. Different Macs have different SATA revisions and even different drive form factors. You should buy one that is the most suitable for your Mac.

My mac is MBP 13.3" Core2Duo 2.4GHz machine.

4. Usage. For general usage, it won’t matter much what SSD you get but if you are getting an SSD for serious work, then it can be crucial to get one with the best performance.

I'm digital photographer and my primary machine useage is for Photoshop, Lightroom 3, iMovie & sometimes Windows 7 on Parallels. I've recently updated to OSX Lion

Based upon what I mentioned here, in current market which SSD works best for me.

Thanks in advance.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I would probably get a Samsung 470 in your case just don't waste your money on an SATA 3 drive unless you mean to replace you notebook with a new one very soon.
I have a Vertex 2 in my 2010 in the optibay. Works without any troubles. Zero difference in stability between now and before the SSD upgrade. 15 seconds bootup time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.