Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Master

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I was looking on OWC at some SSD drives and got'damn they are expensive. Are there any good brands ... I'm looking for 1TB or more to put in a 5,1 as a startup disk and hopefully I won't spend more than $150 on it.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
I would recommend anything from Samsung. Ive used them for years and have an old 840 EVO thats still kicking just like new. They are well priced, durable, and have long life. Ive read in other places that WD and Crucial also make decent drives nowadays. I think the days of short drive life and sudden failures in SSDs are long past us. Most of the drives on the market are going to be decent. As far as speeds you are limited in your case to a SATA 2 3gbps connection so your not going to see the full capability of the drive without getting a SATA 3 card or something like that.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Samsung generally make really good drives as Satinsilverem2 says. The Crucial MX150 or BX150 (I think that's the number anyway) are also really good. I also personally like SanDisk drives because they are rather well roundedfeature-performance-stability wise.

I recommend reading Anandtech for SSD reviews and buyer's guides.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I also recommend the Samsung drives! Good mix of speed, price, and reliability.

MacManiac1

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2017
Pittsburgh
I was looking on OWC at some SSD drives and got'damn they are expensive. Are there any good brands ... I'm looking for 1TB or more to put in a 5,1 as a startup disk and hopefully I won't spend more than $150 on it.
I have a Crucial MX500 1TB drive. Very nice and it is under $150.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.