SSD Reliability -- Post Experience Here

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Nov 8, 2011.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

It's a contentious issue in the storage world -- despite being without moving parts, are SSDs actually more reliable?

Whether you just popped in your first SSD or have had a few, please list your experience here. Let's keep this MacBook exclusive, no Air (where the SSD is soldered to the board). I'll start:

2 128GB Crucial M4 for a month total, periodic beach balls and system hang-ups (pre-EFI update)

128 GB Samsung 470 for about 2 months, no issues.

Essentially I'm looking for cases of inexplicable failure. None of the drives I've had so far, although only 3 months experience, has failed. Had it not been for Apple taking so long to release the EFI update, my SSD-experience would have been entirely problem-free.

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Crucial M4 256 with FW 009 (previously 002) and TRIM Enabled in a Early 11 MBP 15" (Pre & Post-EFI updates). Been in use everyday since July (4 months ago).

Not even a single hiccup. Absolute smooth sailing.

3. azxr macrumors member

Crucial 128GB M4 a little over 2 months use - came with firmware 002 and upgraded to 009 - post and pre EFI update - trim not enabled. No problems at all. Crucial 256GB M4 on the way.

4. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Samsung 470 SSD - 256GB. Had since it came out (close to a year?) -- two or three firmware updates later, still going like a champ.
    Definitely better now the firmware updates are non-destructive to the data.

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Intel X25-M G2 -- running for over two years. Not even a hiccup.

Had a miserable experience with an OCZ vertex prior to that. Finally failed on my after a few months and I got a refund and bought the X25-M

6. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

Samsung 128.. forget how many months now but has had no issues and it's fast.

7. Meever, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

Meever macrumors 6502a

I also rocked a x25m g2 for a while now. It was in a 13" MBP. then a 15" MBP.... and now it's in my iMac. It's going into my Mac Mini next (it's plugged into the TV for streaming, couch browsing, etc)

I've had horrible experience with Samsung customer support when it comes to TV and sound systems.... so I would avoid them.

8. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

I have two owc mercury extreme pros one in 120gb and one in 240 and both have been outstanding. Would buy again.

9. Meever macrumors 6502a

10. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

i had a corsair that died before the OS finished installing, confirmed dead by Frys when i returned it.

I now have an intel 510 i bought used 3 months ago on ebay and it has been flawless.

11. chanc2 macrumors newbie

I had an OCZ Agility 3 in my early 2011 MBP, died after 2 weeks.
    Now I am using Crucial M4, it has no issues for 3 months.

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've Had My 13" Air

For about 3 months now. Have had no issues with the internal SSD (256) at all. But i am looking to expand it's storage with new products becoming available all the time.

If the externals are causing issues, I will wait a while. I was advised by my Apple friends to "Wait a while" they are going to email me when something rock solid is available.

But for now, the supplied internal works fine, without crashes or issues at all.

13. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

I went through three OCZ Agility 3 in 4 months. The old Vertex 2E I had was fine for over a two years.

I had an old Crucial SSD before the Vertex2E in my Mac Mini - only changed it because it was a 64GB. I think it was a C300.