Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
My 1 year warranty from Apple is up and I want to put in an SSD. I have the Applecare extension, from what I understand the Apple corporation itself does not actually handle these.

I searched and got a lot of different answers on whether they care. Im starting to think there isnt a definite answer. :(

But say something did actually go wrong where I had to take it in, and I didnt want to go through the hassle of removing the SSD to "make it look stock again".

Last edited:

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
But say something did actually go wrong where I had to take it in, and I didnt want to go through the hassle of removing the SSD to "make it look stock again".

Then you would probably be denied service and possibly even invalidate your AppleCAre. You did a modification without written authorization from Apple. In short read your AppleCare agreement.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the absolute only user upgradeable part that apple allows you to upgrade in a iMac yourself without losing any warranty or apple care is the ram ,then there is a huge grey area as
some got away with other upgrades like hdd's ,opticals and ssd, but others simply faced a repair bill nearly as high as a brandnew iMac :eek:, so it really comes down to what goes wrong and if apple sees any relation that it could have been caused by yourself while upgrading without much care ,you have to pay, and they are not blind , neither are these apple repair technicians dum , and if anything looks suspicious you will face the bill
but apple is usually quiet good at such things ,and often is using common sense
other AIO system producers simply say NO , as soon as you open the system even for only cleaning inside from dust , and just dont care if the defect is caused by you or not , there it says you opened the back and by doing so did void warranty , end of discussion

so if you want a Apple Mac in which you can change even graphics cards , harddrives , ssd's without any fear of losing any warranty then there is only one and thats the MacPro (with common sense , if your screwdriver slips and you destroy the logicboard on the MacPro then obviously you wont get it repaired under warranty )

Last edited:

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Noted. I am going ahead with the SSD swap. But I'll replace the Superdrive if I need to take it in.

Sure I could get a Pro machine. But one of the selling points of this computer was the display. Throw in a 27" ACD and its probably out of my price range (just a student). I got this computer discounted a lot as it is! I'm not interested in upgrading anything else, I just want an SSD boot & application drive real bad! I'm sure apple could work swapable drive bay(s) into their consumer desktops, but they probably dont want to detract from the elegant uniformity of their design. :rolleyes:

I guess my only question now is, can a local certified technician do this for me?

I'm not any more confident in their ability. I'd just like to bypass any warranty technicalities and leave in the SSD indefinitely.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Would it be feasible to purchase an appropriate SSD yourself (say a 3.5" 120Gb) and visit your local apple store and ask for a quote for a drive swap? You provide the part, they do the work?

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Would it be feasible to purchase an appropriate SSD yourself (say a 3.5" 120Gb) and visit your local apple store and ask for a quote for a drive swap? You provide the part, they do the work?

That would be a total waste of effort as Apple Stores will not upgrade machines the only exception I am aware of is RAM upgrades. However a local AASP may be willing to do this upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.