SSD replacement in ODD fo 2009 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bprice, Jun 30, 2013.

1. bprice macrumors member

I have a 2009 17 iMac.My HD fried and I am replacing it.here's my question(s) I'd appreciate any help..

The iMac is my music recording machine.My method is to record to a separate drive from the boot drive.I am currently recording to an external drive however want to see if the following is a viable option since I have to open the iMac up to replace the HD anyways.

replace the ODD(it has problems anyways) with the SSD as boot drive
    replace the old HD (boot drive) with a HD for writing/recording.

The SSD will be 120-128gb because it will only have apps and a little work(other than recording) wrote to it.

I could then make my new HD a write drive or a BU..or a sample drive.I use what are called a Virtual Instruments that have LARGE samples that can't be on the boot drive.I have them on my external write drive now.Id like to have 3 drives total

boot-SSD
    write drive(int or ext)
    sample drive (int or ext)

okay here's the thing.Of course...I want it as quiet as possible.I will only be recording(writing) one instrument at a time but playing back multiple tracks at the same time.Is the internal HD connect going to be faster and or more efficient.??..and of course quieter..than the ex HD through FW..

last question(s) I am looking at a Samsung 840 seriesMZ-7TD120.
    is this adequate for my described functions...

It looks to be a laptop drive (2.5).I take it that is what would go into an iMac.It comes with an adapter mounting bracket. that fits two 2.5 in a 3.5 space......yet I want to put it in the optical drive bay....any ideas will this work or do I need a a special adapter for where the ODD mounted...and of course a suggestion on which one.Thanks for your responses.

Butch

2. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

What you want can be done. I currently have a Crucial 256GB SSD in place of my ODD for the boot & apps and a 1TB Seagate for the backup/scratch drive.

To remove the ODD you will need to follow these directions.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2309+and+2374+Optical+Drive+Replacement/1637/1

You will need this mounting bracket to hold the SSD in place, where the ODD used to be.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/12-7-mm-SATA-Optical-Bay-SATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/IF107-081

The next issue is replacing the HD with a larger one. Here are the instructions for that. You might have a fan noise issue upon replacing the OEM HD, due to the firmware incompatibility. It may be resolved via software, like iStats or another 3rd party solution. Since noise is an issue, you may want to keep that HD as it is, and use an external.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2309+and+2374+Hard+Drive+Replacement/1634/1

The Samsung works just fine. I was looking at that one when I bought the Crucial. For me the Crucial was a bit cheaper.

You might want to also check out these threads for additional help.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=808178
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1401006

Good luck

3. bprice thread starter macrumors member

Thanks ECJ.

I don't think I need a bigger bootdrive and of course the extra cost if not needed.

That caddy at ifixit looks a bit overpriced how about this one from Newegg.It seems to have the same specs and is compatible with Samsung products.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...NC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-Gadgets-_-9SIA1PU0FR0406

Since my old HD is fried I want to pull it out and... I could use another drive.I just don't want MORE noise(it could get noisy when working hard as a bootdrive)

Thanks again for you precise and succinct help.

Butch

4. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

Yeah, that caddy looks the same. You shouldn't have a problem installing it.

Didn't know the other drive was dead. The replacing it is the only option. I would just check on the Apple Support Forums about the noise issue. My next step is to remove the 1TB Seagate I have and put the new Micron 960GB SSD. That would help reduce a lot of the heat inside the iMac and remove the slowest part of the system.

Good luck.

5. Geekazoid Suspended

Update

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd update you all on my decision regarding whether I should upgrade from my 6-year old PC to a Apple iMac or a Windows PC.

And the decision I've decided to go with, probably not surprising, is...............

((((DRUM ROLL))))

The Windows PC.

The reason is because of the fact that I can choose all of my components and upgrade any part in future if I need to. Heck I could even get a 4GB graphics card later on if I decide I need to. This is good because it means that I'm not limited to what Apple decides to put in their Mac updates later on.

Overall I think I made the wisest decision that was best for my needs.

Can't wait to get it.

There's been a slight change as far as the PC goes though.

This brilliant PC will have the following specs:

Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4GHz
    8GB of DDR3 memory @ 1600MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 w/2GB GDDR5 memory
    1TB WD Black HDD
    LG Optical Drive
    And many more specs. There the main specs though.

Whilst I do love the iMac it's not for me at this point in time.

6. bprice thread starter macrumors member

Thanks EJC

That M500 looked tempting.At least the SSD are coming down faster but they are still not competitive.Most folks probably don't need the advantages.When it's a lower priced and BIGGER that will be my final upgrade.Rams out nothing more to do.Hell it's 4 years old.!!

I do wish I could have waited a bit longer and been able to go 32 gb ram.That would be VERY helpful with sample VI's...but that's a whole new machine for later..anyways I
    pushed the the button at Newegg

Barracuda 2tb HD
    12 Gb ram
    Samsung 840
    ODD caddy

now to study the videos a bit to prepare for the "operation"...