Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Explicit Content

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Hey.

I need some answers to my following questions. Any help would be appreciated.

Firstly, i am about to buy a second hand Mid-2012 Retina MacBook Pro 15" with 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD

Here's my questions.

1) Until 2-3 days, i thought the Retina model MacBooks are not eligible for RAM or SSD upgrade or replacement. I simply thought they are just clued to the mainboard and there is no way to replace or upgrade them. This thought was come from what i read before but here is a simple guide link that i found to easily replace them. (Please tell me if links to other sites are not allowed)

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/upgrade-ssd-macbook-pro-retina-display

So, if it's possible and that easy, what kind of ssd should i buy to be compatible with the rMBP ?

2) Will removing the old SSD from a rMBP, or any other computer , and replacing with a brand new SSD , delete all of previous files and any other data from the system (computer) or do i need any other things to do? My main purpose is, getting that second hand macbook and turn it into a brand new , factory-shipped macbook for my use.

Let me be more spesific to my second question. Are SSD's the only mechanism that hold any data from previous user or can RAM or/and any other system piece hold any data too?

Thank you.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
1. The linked article tells you a lot about the answer to your question.
But, just to clarify --- Apple uses SSDs that are configured for use in Apple systems. The card-type SSD in your linked article is like one that you would need. AND, you are limited to using SSDs that Apple puts in their Macs, or from a very small number of companies that make SSDs that can be used in Macs. You can't just go to a local shop, or order from Newegg or Amazon or other on-line retailers, unless those drives are specifically made to use in Apple computers.
Newer Macs are even more restricted, and now some are not upgradable at all.
The OWC one is good. Data Memory Systems has some. Crucial does not, for example. Also other vendors, like PNY, or Kingston --- not there.
The problem here is that the connector for the card is different, and if you try a more standard card, like an M2 SSD, you need a special adapter, and there's not enough room inside the case of a laptop for that adapter to fit, so it's a no-go for a Macbook Pro, except for cards that are made to fit.

2. All the system, files and data is stored on the SSD. If you remove the SSD, the data goes with it. For your 2012 MB Pro, swap out the card, then reinstall the system software using a bootable flash drive with the system installer. Lots of sites have steps to follow to do that.

Last question. All data is stored only on the drive, including personal information and all files. There are settings, but not personal data, stored in the firmware. A simple SMC reset clears THAT. The one problem MIGHT be if the previous owner had set a firmware password. You don't need to know more, but the firmware password will prevent you from booting to an external drive (such as the installer for the system) unless you type in the firmware password first. You will know when that happens, and then go from there.

Explicit Content

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
1. The linked article tells you a lot about the answer to your question.
But, just to clarify --- Apple uses SSDs that are configured for use in Apple systems. The card-type SSD in your linked article is like one that you would need. AND, you are limited to using SSDs that Apple puts in their Macs, or from a very small number of companies that make SSDs that can be used in Macs. You can't just go to a local shop, or order from Newegg or Amazon or other on-line retailers, unless those drives are specifically made to use in Apple computers.
Newer Macs are even more restricted, and now some are not upgradable at all.
The OWC one is good. Data Memory Systems has some. Crucial does not, for example. Also other vendors, like PNY, or Kingston --- not there.
The problem here is that the connector for the card is different, and if you try a more standard card, like an M2 SSD, you need a special adapter, and there's not enough room inside the case of a laptop for that adapter to fit, so it's a no-go for a Macbook Pro, except for cards that are made to fit.

2. All the system, files and data is stored on the SSD. If you remove the SSD, the data goes with it. For your 2012 MB Pro, swap out the card, then reinstall the system software using a bootable flash drive with the system installer. Lots of sites have steps to follow to do that.

Last question. All data is stored only on the drive, including personal information and all files. There are settings, but not personal data, stored in the firmware. A simple SMC reset clears THAT. The one problem MIGHT be if the previous owner had set a firmware password. You don't need to know more, but the firmware password will prevent you from booting to an external drive (such as the installer for the system) unless you type in the firmware password first. You will know when that happens, and then go from there.

Thank you for your help.

Are these true for RAM too?

And, i am looking for OWC products but can you tell which other SSD brands and models compatible with rMBP ?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
No. RAM is not replaceable/upgradeable on your Retina MBPro.

I listed compatible brands.
Apple.
OWC
Data Memory Systems (DMS)
also, Transcend Jetdrive.

You do have to be careful, do your homework if you want to go with a different vendor, to make sure that YOUR Mac is supported. There's more or less 3 different types of SSD storage drives that can work in a Mac (depends how you count)
wrong type card won't even install, the connectors are different, or the physical size of the card is different.
OWC and DMS both give you a selection screen to take you to the right Mac, and to the RAM capacity that you want. Transcend probably has something similar (I don't know, never used)
You can find some of those correct cards at other sites, but you really have to be sure of what you are looking at, as you can easily choose a generic card (that will be great in a Windows laptop, but can't even plug in to a Mac)

And, I listed Apple at the top, because you can find cards that have been removed from other Macs, and are correct, and can be pricey for the larger capacities (because they are often fastest, and that's what users look for, eh?) You can look on eBay, too. Again, you have to be sure of what you are looking at.
OWC and transcend, I think you can chat with them for specific help in selecting what you need. That's always good in this situation. They may chat with you, and guide you to something else.

This isn't as simple as you might expect, and it's ALL because Apple decided that the SSD drives will mostly be specific for Macs - with connectors that are ONLY used on Macs, AFAIK.

OR, you COULD just erase the existing drive. I assume that you want to replace so you have more than the 256GB of the factory drive (?)

Explicit Content

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
No. RAM is not replaceable/upgradeable on your Retina MBPro.

I listed compatible brands.
Apple.
OWC
Data Memory Systems (DMS)
also, Transcend Jetdrive.

You do have to be careful, do your homework if you want to go with a different vendor, to make sure that YOUR Mac is supported. There's more or less 3 different types of SSD storage drives that can work in a Mac (depends how you count)
wrong type card won't even install, the connectors are different, or the physical size of the card is different.
OWC and DMS both give you a selection screen to take you to the right Mac, and to the RAM capacity that you want. Transcend probably has something similar (I don't know, never used)
You can find some of those correct cards at other sites, but you really have to be sure of what you are looking at, as you can easily choose a generic card (that will be great in a Windows laptop, but can't even plug in to a Mac)

And, I listed Apple at the top, because you can find cards that have been removed from other Macs, and are correct, and can be pricey for the larger capacities (because they are often fastest, and that's what users look for, eh?) You can look on eBay, too. Again, you have to be sure of what you are looking at.
OWC and transcend, I think you can chat with them for specific help in selecting what you need. That's always good in this situation. They may chat with you, and guide you to something else.

This isn't as simple as you might expect, and it's ALL because Apple decided that the SSD drives will mostly be specific for Macs - with connectors that are ONLY used on Macs, AFAIK.

OR, you COULD just erase the existing drive. I assume that you want to replace so you have more than the 256GB of the factory drive (?)

My main purpose on replacing the SSD is that i want a brand new , factory-shipped system.
[doublepost=1501411540][/doublepost]
Compatible with rMBP? That's easy,contact your local Apple service centre/reseller,or order from Apple Store.

Apple ones would be too expensive i think. Thank you.

Explicit Content

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
You don't need to replace the SSD to get a fresh new system : just erase the SSD and re-install the operating system.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

The (only) other place that holds data from the previous owner is the NVRAM.
You can reset it : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Thank you for your help.

I read about erasing SSD on Mac (or any other system) and they say %100 deletion of it's storage is not possible. At least, there are different opinions on this, since apple removed secure erase option for SSD technology because of %100 deletion is not guaranteed for SSD

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
If you are buying a replacement SSD mostly to ensure that it's clean, make sure you buy a new SSD. Otherwise you're spending a lot of money for a chimera. I wouldn't even buy new open box if no-leftovers is your driving criterion.

IMHO that's an awfully expensive way to do it, though. It's up to you, but if I were doing it, I'd just full-erase the existing SSD as Bruno09 says, and move on from there.

There is one sort-of reasonable (IMO) argument for replacing the SSD with new or new open-box and that is to ensure that you aren't using an SSD with some unknown amount of the total-writes lifetime used up. Most users would struggle to come anywhere near total lifetime, but if the previous owner was an extraordinarily heavy-duty user, it might matter in a couple years.
[doublepost=1501423214][/doublepost]You could try Parted Magic for doing a secure erase.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"My main purpose on replacing the SSD is that i want a brand new , factory-shipped system."

A TOTAL WASTE of time and money.

Do a secure erase with Disk Utility.
That will clean it out as well as it needs to be "cleaned out".

You will never notice ONE IOTA of difference between that drive and a new one.
An OWC replacement will actually run SLOWER and HOTTER.

Explicit Content

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
If you are buying a replacement SSD mostly to ensure that it's clean, make sure you buy a new SSD. Otherwise you're spending a lot of money for a chimera. I wouldn't even buy new open box if no-leftovers is your driving criterion.

IMHO that's an awfully expensive way to do it, though. It's up to you, but if I were doing it, I'd just full-erase the existing SSD as Bruno09 says, and move on from there.

There is one sort-of reasonable (IMO) argument for replacing the SSD with new or new open-box and that is to ensure that you aren't using an SSD with some unknown amount of the total-writes lifetime used up. Most users would struggle to come anywhere near total lifetime, but if the previous owner was an extraordinarily heavy-duty user, it might matter in a couple years.
[doublepost=1501423214][/doublepost]You could try Parted Magic for doing a secure erase.

I will look for Parted Magic. Thank you.

OP wrote:
"My main purpose on replacing the SSD is that i want a brand new , factory-shipped system."

A TOTAL WASTE of time and money.

Do a secure erase with Disk Utility.
That will clean it out as well as it needs to be "cleaned out".

You will never notice ONE IOTA of difference between that drive and a new one.
An OWC replacement will actually run SLOWER and HOTTER.

Sorry, what is IOTA ?

Disk Utility doesn't show up a secure erase option for SSD by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.