SSD Sata Cable Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pinkiy, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Pinkiy macrumors regular

Pinkiy

Hi All

I ordered this HD the other day. http://www.ebuyer.com/720808-ocz-trion-100-240gb-sataiii-2-5-inch-ssd-trn100-25sat3-240g

The laptop itself was struggling to load anything with SSD installed even installing the OS from a bootable USB. Anyway put in the old HD and i used a USB adaptor to install the OS, worked perfectly. Booted up with the SSD in the USB and worked perfectly as well. Thought kudos... put it back into the laptop and it froze again on loading.

So I'm down to thinking the issue has to be with the SATA cable? I've read some where that there is an issue with running a Sata III SSD as the cable bugs out. Is there a fix for this or will the SSD not boot and i should just return it?

The macbook is as per below:

Macbook Pro (13-inch, mid 2010)
    Processor 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4GB DDR3

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Try the replacement sata Sata cable first the ones in that model are notoriously flaky and fail if you breathe too heavily near them. It should worik fine many many people are running SATA 3 SSD's in those machines.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... I'm with Samuelsan2001, you have a bad internal cable. The fact the SSD works fine in the external enclosure proves it. I think what happens with these is it works okay with the HDD, then when you pop in a SSD with its much much higher transfer rates, a borderline cable flakes out.

4. Hellhammer, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015

Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

5. Pinkiy, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015

Pinkiy thread starter macrumors regular

Pinkiy

ah balls thanks people. i ordered a new cable in haste yesterday but i have a spare Samsung Evo 120gb that i can try while i wait to test the cable issue.

If that works i'll just send the other drive back and use the samsung and send the cable back...

Jebus what a right old mess.

Edit:

Samsung worked so thats that. sending OCZ back :)

thanks all