SSD: SATA III backwards compatibility

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Heisler98, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Heisler98 macrumors member

I have a Mid-2010 MBP with a SATA I connection at 1.5 Gb/s. I'm looking to get just a simple SSD that could increase application loading, deliver faster read/write times and decrease boot-up times.

I see most SSDs have SATA III, and I know that the SATA III SSDs tend to be a little bit more "flakey" with reliability and performance, but they are also the cheapest. My question is: Are all SATA III drives backwards compatible with SATA I?

I've seen specs of SATA III drives that say "SATA III: Backwards compatible with SATA II", but none that say with SATA I.

Also, while we're at it, I know that there's a sticky at the top of this page about SSD buying tips and info, but any slight suggestions on what SSDs are the best would be of great benefit.

I also have a Late-2012 Mac Mini that came with a 5400rpm 1 TB drive. It has two drive bays, and so I have room to put an SSD in there and install an OS on it - it has a SATA II connector, so if anyone has any ideas about that, also, great.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

The 2010 MBP, as the 2009 and late 2008 MBPs have an S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) interface.

Anyway, I have a 2007 and 2009 Mac, both with S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) interfaces and both run S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) SSDs quite fine.
    Depending on your SSD model, you might need a firmware upgrade.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD or SSD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD or SSD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

The 2012 Mac mini has an S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) interface.

3. Heisler98 thread starter macrumors member

My apologies, I was accidentally looking at the link speed on the DRIVE, not on the chipset. Okay, well that clears things up a bit for me, so no need to ask the question. :D

Sorry, again! Thanks!