SSD Secure Erase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maclver, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

I have the Intel X-25 M G2 160GB and if for some reason I have to restore my comp with this SSD in it. How do I ensure that everything is erased and my SSD is not "dirty". Like brought back to a 100% state. Do I do Zero Out data?

Thanks

2. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No you need something like HDD Erase 3.3

4. Baral macrumors member

ATA secure erasing is NOT AT ALL like zeroing out your data. In fact, the two are next to complete opposites.

Zeroing out data fills up every cell in your SSD with a 0. Remember, a 0 is not empty, it's a 0. It overwrites every cell in your SSD with a 0 so all your data is gone and you have an "empty" SSD, but the individual cells (the physical part of the SSD that stores information) has a 0 in it.

Secure erasing marks every cell as empty and brings the SSD back to factory performance, ready to write to every cell.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Lol did you take a look at the link?

You need to issue the secure_erase command. The Guide I linked to is Just one way to do it.

Hdderase is another way to do it, but I don't like that method.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Why don't you like it?

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I had some compatibility issues a few months ago when I first tried it, so now I just keep a disk with ubuntu and a copy of the instructions i linked to on my shelf. no other reason really.

8. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

Where can I download this @ i searched google but only found stuff for PCs

EDIT: OK Found but does this work on Mac?

9. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

No. You'll have to use GParted Live CD.

10. Baral macrumors member

Disktester will work on a Mac, but it's not freeware. Costs like 30 dollars or something.

The only reliable free way to do it seems like issuing a secure erase command via GParted Live bootable CD.

11. mstier09 macrumors regular

I've been looking for a solution to this problem as well. This solution, while inelegant, might work as long as you have a few components on hand. If you have bootcamp and an external hard drive you should be able to follow these steps. Warning: I haven't done this yet, as my SSD is pretty new, but this will be my plan.

Clone the SSD onto the external hard drive. Boot into Windows and format the SSD to NTFS and run the free Intel SSD Toolbox software from Intel.com (to recondition the SSD). Next, boot back into OS X using the external hard drive and repartition the SSD and put but back all cloned data from the external drive.

After reading that process it seems confusing but really shouldn't take too long, provided you are familiar with these steps. This whole thing only is worth while if you already have Bootcamp and an external HDD. Otherwise you'll be paying for too much junk and could probably find a cheaper solution.

12. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

^ This is how I do it however format the SSD FAT32 in OS X before you go into Windows, it won't let you format it without doing that, or at-least it won't for me.

13. mstier09 macrumors regular

Yeah the FAT32 makes more sense. Its good to know that works though! Thanks for the input!

14. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

What the hell does this mean?

"posix reports cannot allocate memory" Im getting that in disk utility

15. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver