SSD sequential read/write performance super terrible!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nerd05, Jul 17, 2010.

1. nerd05 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    As of a few weeks ago, I've noticed my MacBook Pro starting to hang frequently for a few seconds, not at all unlike the hang you see when a disk spins up. Thing is, I'm using a Crucial SSD.

So, I ran Xbench, and found that my sequential read/write speeds are down the crapper. Random read/write speeds are fine.

Is there something I can/should do to improve this? Is there something wrong with my drive?

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...what model Crucial SSD do you have?

SSD's are known for random read/write speeds and do slow the larger the files are...

3. nerd05 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a Crucial CT256M225.

I'm not sure I understand XBanch's readings. Looking at one of the sequential reads, I was getting about 7 MB/s, but looking at another one, I was pulling 186 MB/s.

I've heard that in Windows some maintenance called "trimming" is needed. Does OS X handle that sort of thing? Until recently it's seemed to be working pretty nicely.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

OSX and any windows before 7 do NOT support trim... I have the WD scorpio blue SSD in my winXP netbook as it has its own onboard version of trim and GC that seem to work ok...

I've been looking at the OWC SSD's and though more expensive seem to be the best choice for a Mac currently by the reviews and info available online...

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

the crucial ssd you have supports garbage collection and is avail. via a firmware update.

imho..garbage collection is better then trim anyway.

6. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

You may want to try the new Vertex 2 SSD. I have been happy with mine.