SSD Setup Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mf22, Sep 10, 2012.

1. mf22 macrumors newbie

I'm about to pull the trigger on a base mid-2013 mbp and would like some of the knowledgeable members here to chime in.

I'm leaning towards putting a 512 gb Samsung 830 ssd in the hdd slot and keeping the optical drive. I know most people swap the stock 500 hdd into the optibay but I like having the optical drive on board. I have a ton of music that I use frequently so I'd keep it all on the ssd along with my OS and apps but I'd keep all of my photos on an external hard drive.

Does this make sense for me or would you guys advise another setup?

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

This setup is fine if thats what you want. The 830 is a killer SSD. Most people put their stock MBP in the Optibay just for more internal storage, but if you dont want to then dont. Keep in mind, it voids the warranty if you remove the Optical Drive.

If you do decide to remove it, make sure you put it back in if you take the MBP in for warranty work, that way they dont harass you about it.

If you do buy an Optibay, I HIGHLY recommend this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058AH2US/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
    It fits perfect and has screws and screw holes to secure the HDD to the optibay. I have this installed in my brother 2012 13" MBP.

3. cherishzm macrumors regular

512GB SSD would be a plenty of space unless you want to keep tons of media with you all the time.

4. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Are 2013 MBP's out already?