SSD setup help!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tin88, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Tin88 macrumors member

Im trying to setup my SSD and make it a boot drive.. Do i want to move over the User Folder???

2. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

I just installed a Vertex 3 in the main bay of my 2011 15" MBP and swapped out the optical drive for the stock 750GB HD.

I kept my user directory on my SSD. I think this is a better idea, rather than moving the user folder because the MBP will constantly be accessing it during use. Not moving it will be better for performance and won't cut down on battery life to keep the HDD from being accessed all the time.

If I were you, just move over media (i.e. movies, pictures, itunes library) to the HDD and keep everything else on the SSD.

3. PackFan macrumors regular

PackFan

4. Tin88 thread starter macrumors member

Yea I want all my apps and OS on the SSD but I can't clone it all I have a 120gb ssd and like 300GB out of 500gb used on the HD its like 175gb of movies and ****.

5. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I just installed the OS on the new SSD and transferred any files that I wanted from the HDD.

6. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Copy your home folder (the house icon folder) from the SSD onto the HD. The HD wont have the house icon yet. Go to system prefs and into accounts.

Click on the lock, unlock it. Control-click your account, go to advance settings.

Go to home directory, and browse the folder you just copied onto the HD. This should turn it into the home icon after reboot.

Edit: I failed reading your original post. I thought you were asking how to move your home folder =/

Ill just leave those instructions there for anybody to look back at...

7. Tin88 thread starter macrumors member

Wouldnt i want to move my home folder tho? I want OSX and applications on the SSD and this link is tellin me the same thing... (http://chris.pirillo.com/how-to-move-the-home-folder-in-os-x-and-why/) In my Home Folder(house icon) the Applications folder has nothing in it. Do i have to select the Applications folder in the main Macintosh HD?? Also would i want to clone the System folder? Thanks

8. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I wanted the same thing as you, and you're doing it right. I have the Vertex 3 + 750GB HDD in an optibay and I moved my home folder to the HDD - like you said it has nothing to do with the Applications. It works fine too - all my music, movies, and docs are on the HDD, and all Apps stay on the SSD.

I say move it and be done.

9. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

The application folder inside the home folder is not your actual application library. What I did was:

Clone my HD with carbon Copy
    Using that clone, I transferred all the files I wanted to the SSD
    Set the SSD as boot drive
    When I boot into the SSD, I had to make a new account.
    Using disk utility, I transfered the users files to the SSD
    I now had my old account on the SSD (has all my bookmarks, widgets etc)
    Went into my normal account (now on the SSD), and into system prefs -> accounts
    Deleted the newly created account made on the SSD
    Moved the home folder using the above intructions
    Reboot, and done!

10. got2go macrumors member

What I would do is take all your music, movies (basically all your big files) and put them on an external disk. Delete them off your HD. If you have moved enough stuff then you should be able to clone your HD to the SSD. After that you have your boot disk. Format your HD and then move your music, movies etc back to your storage disk.

11. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Sounds more complicated than it should be.

Can't you move all your data from your home folders to your storage drive, keep the home folder as is on the ssd? That is what I am doing.

12. bozz2006, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Theoretically its faster to keep the home folder on SSD, then put your folders containing larger files onto the hdd. This will keep your library, which is accessed often by the OS, on hut SSD. This has a speed advantage. It'll also cut down on the OS needing to access the hdd, so it should spin up less often, saving you some battery juice. I used this handy blog post to redirect the movie, music, pictures, etc., folders to the secondary hdd.

13. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    agree 100%

i left my home folder, and moved all old docs/movies/music to my optibay stock 7200 hdd

i have recent docs on SSD, also moved aperture and other folders, cloned to optibay hdd, and also the downloads folder.

have 43gb for os +apps+ active docs
    320gb for everything else

14. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Cache files go into your home folder which preferably should be on an SSD rather than an HDD.

15. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Yeah my home folder is still on my SSD, but media files such as music and movies are on HDD. Is that appropriate?

16. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Yes.

17. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

On that blog link posted above, it says

Does that mean I should copy my movies folder from my SSD onto my HDD? But I have 100GB of movies on my HDD already, making the copying impossible.

And it says

What is DataVol? How do I find the path link for a folder such as movies for the HDD

18. Tin88 thread starter macrumors member

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my apps, User/Home folder and System folder. But when i go to set the Startup disk my SSD is not listed. Please help what do i have to do??

19. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Does the SSD have OSX installed onto it?

20. Tin88 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't install OSX to the SSD, i thought it should have been part of the Cloned files....

21. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Did you clone the OSX part onto it? I dont know what exact files they are. I just cloned everything except by large files, which I deselected.

22. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

To simplify things I would have installed osx onto the ssd, and kept the home folder there. That way you have the speed of the apps launching from the ssd etc.

Move all data to hdd, which you will access only once in a while.

23. Tin88 thread starter macrumors member

I cloned Library User/Home, System and Applications all to the SSD. Where would OSX be then? Am i just better off using the external Drive to install

24. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

But the problem I ran into was, with the homefolder on the SSD, everything automatically saves to the SSD

I dont want to have to browse for the right folder in my HD every time I save

25. Tin88 thread starter macrumors member