SSD setup

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tarsierspectral, Aug 28, 2010.

1. tarsierspectral macrumors regular

So, I just picked SSD and connected it via the cable for the optical drive. Before I turn the computer on, I want to know whether I should leave the stock drive in or take it out, I don't want the computer to boot off of the stock drive, I just want to jump right in, reformat the SSD and install OS on it. So what steps do I need to follow?

Thank you

2. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

You could either use Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper or any similar app to clone your system to the new SSD. Or install fresh (which gives you the option of leaving off some extra bulk, like additional languages, for instance).

As for leaving the stock drive, there's no reason to take it out unless you want to replace it and all the other bays are filled.

If installing fresh, just run your install disc and target the SSD. When you're done, use disk utility to erase your old stock drive (or do that first, if you want, but you'll have no startup drive until the other is installed and you'll have to boot from the install disc).

3. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Interested to hear how people do this myself!!!! :confused:

4. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

What exactly do you need to know??

SSD setup or how to go about installing the OS?

5. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Sorry I typed that same time as your original reply!!! Your post above mine has helped me understand what I need to know!!

Cheers!!

6. mangrove macrumors 6502

Ok, just did a few on computers here. I took pretty good notes--

1. With old drive in old location and powered up , I format the new drive first-in an enclosure or Voyager Q. It will pop up a screen that it does not recognize the new volume. Click initialize and format it.

2. Then, partition it. If you need help with that let me know.

3. The next part gets personal. If you want a small clean OSX'd boot drive--Put new drive after formatting and partitioning in to Voyager Q (VQ) or enclosure that had better be FW800 minimum.

4. Turn on VQ.

5. Insert Mac OSX install DVD into your SuperDrive and immediately hold down Option key on keyboard until the large X appears. Double click "install Mac OSX".

6. When next screen appears click "continue" and then click "Agree".

7. IMPORTANT--on next screen click "Show all Disks"

8. Highlight your new disk that you are going to install OSX onto. Then you will see a downward pointing green arrow over the new drive indicating that is the drive you have selected for the OSX install.

9. IMPORTANT--For a small clean install, click "Customize" in lower left corner of the window.

10. Next select only what you want/need for a boot drive:

--essential system software you need,but on my installs the size was given as 8 GB, but when finished the size is actually a little over 4 GB.
    --printer support-forget the 100 printer drivers you don't need-just select "printers used by this Mac".
    --Language Translations- most people only need english so uncheck the other so you don't need.
    --rosetta--if you want sure it's small
    --QuickTime 7-yes check it
    --I never select X11, but maybe you need it.

11. Review your selections, then click "select" and OK

12. Enter your password and click OK.

13. Now install begins. It takes between 20 and 45 minutes for me.

14. Finally a welcome screen appears. Click--us for english, continue, us keyboard, continue.

15. IMPORTANT--It will ask if you want to transfer information from anywhere else. I always select-"Another Volume on this Mac" and then "continue".

16 IMPORTANT--Watch what you select in order to keep the boot drive small (if that's a concern).

--user-your name--click to get down to the details and check only smallish stuff-mine come in between 5-7GB depending on computer.
    --Applications-mine are about 13GB
    --Settings-small one
    --Other files and folders-small
    --I do not select Music (iTunes) nor Pictures (iPhoto) since they come to a combined 130GB on my systems.

17. When finished with #16, click "Transfer"

18. Next window will be "registration Information"-i do not enter anything (why register again) and instead click "continue" then enter "no Info" or continue again depending on computer.

19. On screen "ready to Connect" you are almost home free-click continue.

20. At "thank you" screen, click "go".

21. Eject OSX DVD.

22. While still on the newly created bootable drive go straight to Apple/"software Update". You might have to do this 3 times to get all new releases----so remember to hold down option key in order to reboot back up into the new boot drive.

23. Before doing anything-make sure your new drive is in fact bootable. Turn off computer-start up holding down option key. you want to select the new drive. but on my systems the mouse is not yet running, so hit your keyboard arrow key to get over new drive , then hit enter.
    Make sure everything on the new boot drive works like your old drive-you know, mail, safari, applications-everything until you are satisfied the boot install worked OK. Then you can install it into computer. You might have to point it to your iTunes and iPhoto stuff, but other than that it should be fine-assuming you did a fresh install. For a clone also do the same thing.

Sorry my fingers are getting sore. I have more suggestions, but that will get you going.:D

7. mangrove macrumors 6502

CCC just creates a same-same drive as your old drive and that's OK too. You should clone the old drive anyway as a bootable back up.

But what I explain above gives you a fresh OSX, but keeps all your old settings etc. due to the "Transfer from another Volume on this Mac" I mention. So let me know--did that answer your questions??

8. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Haha, that's very thorough!

Can you tell me why you put your drive into an external enclosure first? Sorry if I missed something.

9. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

My understanding was OP's drive was the stock one on a new computer, which would have a fresh OS install. Maybe he's talking about an old system, though.

10. mangrove macrumors 6502

Sorry if that was overkill, but when he said he just picked up an SSD-I assumed it was not already in the computer. Then I saw others asking how to do it and about 3 weeks ago I had the same questions and most answers for me were lacking with incomplete steps etc.

11. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Not overkill at all, I don't think. Can't ever have too much information!

12. tarsierspectral thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys. I didn't see any responses for a while so I went ahead and figured it all myself. I am all good now.

13. mangrove macrumors 6502

Can you tell us how you did, what you did etc. so that you are all good. please.

Important to have as many real life experiences as possible.

14. tarsierspectral thread starter macrumors regular

Sure, sure, of course.
    So, I took out all the drives out of the old computer, put them all in the new computer. I attached the SSD to the optical drive cable. I started the new computer up, put the OS DVD in, booted from the DVD. Went to the Disk Utility, my SSD was listed there. Created GUID partition, formatted it using Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Quit out of the disk utility, then continued to go with OSX install wizard, selected the SSD for my OSX drive. That's all. Hope that helps.

15. mangrove macrumors 6502

Ok I had thought from your opening question that you were going to put a new SSD in a new computer.

16. tarsierspectral thread starter macrumors regular

yes, I did put the new SSD in a new computer