SSD Shopping for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tdj, Apr 13, 2010.

1. tdj macrumors newbie

Hi guys/gals,
    Just started posting around here. Going to take the Apple plunge. While the general consensus is that the MBPs are not the latest/greatest, at least they're better than a week ago - and I cannot wait any longer. I see that most people are recommending SSD upgrades to be done in the aftermarket. SSD options include Intel ?X-25M? (I hope I got the model number right), OCZ Vertex ?for Mac?, and some others that I see on Newegg. Is the general consensus still that Intel's are reliable AND fast, albeit pricey, and OCZ is a worthy second-place? Over in the MBA forum, they tout Runcore - any success with these over here in MBP land? Are there some SSDs on the horizon that I should be aware of?

I'm looking for a quick, reliable SSD, with idiot-proof instructions, as the most I've ever done is install RAM and get to a hard drive on an HP laptop (I don't know if that's easier/harder with macs). Also, I'm looking for a good place to "put" the oem apple hard drive - hopefully use it as a backup - any suggestions of kits that will allow this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I just bought this one a few hours ago to go along with my 13" I bought this morning. Its been getting good reviews and is made specifically for the Mac (I don't know how much of a difference that will make.)

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-Vertex-Solid-OCZSSD2-1VTXA60G/dp/B0026P34IW

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

^^^
    The OCZ Vertex Mac edition is apparently identical to the regular version (well, other than the sticker).

4. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

I ordered the i5 15" with the standard drive and a new Intel X-25M 160Gb from my local computer shop. I think the SSD will be here before the laptop waiting to get used!

5. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

What do you guys think of this one?

OCZ Technology 250 GB Vertex Series SATA II 2.5 Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) OCZSSD2-1VTX250G

Either that or the Crucial 255

I hear there is no trim support for SSDs in mac...does that mean it's far better to just wait or the drive will fail quick?

6. rumorholic macrumors newbie

Anyone know what make and model SSDs come with the MBPs?

7. PaulDCarlucci macrumors newbie

Apple, like most OEMs, use Samsungs. They're poo.

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

The new drives have garbage collection, so they're going to age much better than the older SSD's ones.