SSD, Should I Get One? Do I Need One?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KidZgOtMac, Sep 11, 2011.

1. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

Hence the questions above, I have a 750 HDD + a portable 1 TB drive from Western Digital. I'm into digital DJing so I will be constantly downloading and storing music. I had a Windows 7 partition but had to erase it since I was sold fake software and had to return it. I will thus create another one when my new install disc arrives. I will also be doing a lot of work with Adobe Creative Suite programs like Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver and After Effects. So could I really benefit much from getting an SSD or is it just a fancy premium? If I should get one, how much GB? Can I go with a cheap SSD? like say this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...227738&cm_sp=Cat_SSD-_-Spotlight-_-20-227-738
    What type of SATA bay should I buy and can I just buy any like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-SATA-HD...e_Internal&hash=item43a873a895#ht_2167wt_1398

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Personally, I wouldn't touch one that has less than a 4 star review. From your use, you may find a bit of benefit, but not a whole lot outside of boot and load times. Plus, being a DJ, SSDs are pretty skimpy on the storage space, and they won't help you download anything faster. They definitely are a cool thing to have, but I certainly wouldn't say you need one.

3. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

You couldn't have said it any better.

4. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

No one needs an SSD, just like no one needs a quad core, just like no one needs to upgrade anything ever (provided it's working and meeting minimum requirements). It's always been a want, and how close that want is to how much you're willing to spend.

That said, if you're not really to shell out for at least a 120GB+ SSD, or at the VERY LEAST a quality 64 GB SSD, then forget it.

5. halfwinter macrumors newbie

System files on SSD in an Optibay

I didn't want to drop the crazy cash for a reasonably sized SSD, so I just got a 128gb SSD and dropped it in an optibay (http://www.mcetech.com/optibay). I installed lion on the SSD, and moved the home directory to my HHD. Works great. Now all my application processes go thru the SSD, and I have the storage of my HDD at a fraction of the price. I wouldn't be surprised if the next gen MacBooks employ some version of this architecture from the factory.

6. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Any hold-up with the SSD booting from the Optibay?

7. realchimera macrumors regular

If you have a new LV bag, do you still need a Hermes bag? Maybe yes, maybe not... it's all up to you

8. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

In the context of this argument, for many it depends on if they could carry as much in the (presumably more expensive) Hermes bag as the LV bag.