Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Constantine1337

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Hello,

this is just a question, not an "issue" per se:

I have OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD to which I cloned my OSX via CCC recently. In System Profile the type of storage is shown as "HDD" not "SSD". Is this something I should be worried about, or is it normal because I did not install my OSX the normal way but cloned it?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hello,

this is just a question, not an "issue" per se:

I have OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD to which I cloned my OSX via CCC recently. In System Profile the type of storage is shown as "HDD" not "SSD". Is this something I should be worried about, or is it normal because I did not install my OSX the normal way but cloned it?

If the performance is there, why worry at all?

MartyF81

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Chicago IL
Can you give a screen shot of what you are referring to? I went in to system profiler, and I do not see it say SSD or HDD in the profile at all?

The only thing that I see that is even close is in Serial-ATA in the individual disk information it says "Type" with Solid State for my SSD and "Rotational" for my Regular Platter disk.

In either case, it doesn't matter.... and SSD is an HDD.... it is just a different type. Kind like a CD player and a DVD player are both "Optical Drives"... the system profiler could call it a Hamburger.... as long as it works...

Constantine1337

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Can you give a screen shot of what you are referring to? I went in to system profiler, and I do not see it say SSD or HDD in the profile at all?

The only thing that I see that is even close is in Serial-ATA in the individual disk information it says "Type" with Solid State for my SSD and "Rotational" for my Regular Platter disk.

In either case, it doesn't matter.... and SSD is an HDD.... it is just a different type. Kind like a CD player and a DVD player are both "Optical Drives"... the system profiler could call it a Hamburger.... as long as it works...

Yes, the "Type" is what I was referring to. Like said, it is not important, but I was wondering. I will do a SMC reset tomorrow and report what happened (can't reboot my mac right now)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.