SSD size - How do you deal with it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Melodeath, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

So, I'd really like to get an SSD for the increased speed and performance (Though I would still use an external firewire drive to record audio with my audio interface). The problem is that for the price, SSDs are much, much smaller in capacity than hard disk drives. My question is, how do you (personally) deal with this?

Do you just suck it up and buy a huge SSD to store all your stuff? or
    Do you keep most of your personal items on an external drive for storage?
    What do you do?

The only SSD I could afford would be an 80GB drive. The issue is I have over 80GB of music alone. If I put my music on the laptop, I wouldn't have any hard drive space left for programs, documents, pictures, whatnot. Do I have abnormal space requirements, or do most people just store their music and documents on external drives? I'm not opposed to external drive storage on desktops, but the whole point of a laptop is to be mobile. This means being able to take my music collection with me on the computer.

Just curious how everyone goes about this issue...

2. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

If you have the guts, check out the threads about installing a second drive in place of the optical drive. That's what I plan to do when my MB gets here

3. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have the guts for that haha

I'm pretty handy with computers, but I don't have much interest in disassembling my first mac. Furthermore, I will definitely be using the optical drive.

4. kasakka macrumors 68000

Simple. I don't keep music and movies on my laptop. They're on my desktop machine at home.

5. ttran88 macrumors regular

unce unce unce unce!!! what kind of music do you make?

6. gecko91 macrumors member

Apparently the installation is very easy.. I'm keeping the 500GB HDD for my files and sticking a 80GB SSD in the optical drive for the OS and applications.

7. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

All my TV shows and movies are on an external.

8. stylishgeek macrumors newbie

How do you move the Documents, Movies and Music folders to the second drive? I've ordered the MCE tray for a second drive, but I'm not sure how to make the previous folders load from the larger drive, not the boot drive.

9. gecko91 macrumors member

Both drives are mounted automatically, you can just drag and drop.

10. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

True, but if you want OSX to recognize the folder on the second drive as your new home folder you will need to point to it by changing the association in System Preference / Accounts / advanced settings. Go into the accounts pref pain and unlock it by clicking on the padlock and entering your password. Now right click on an admin account and select advanced settings. You will see a dialog box for changing your home folder. Just click on the browse button and navigate to the new location. You may be better off using Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your home folder then doing drag and drop

11. ttran88 macrumors regular