SSD size? Will osx and a bunch of apps fit?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Rafalski24, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Rafalski24 macrumors regular

Hello all,
    I will be buying a Mac Pro soon, and am thinking about buying the intel x25-m SSD. I would only be able to afford the 80gb version, so my question is would this drive be able to hold the following.

OS X 10.6
    Final Cut Studio (all of it, and on that note is it possible to put the content on another drive?)
    Photoshop
    After Effects
    a bunch of standard smaller apps like: Skype, Cyberduck, audacity, firefox, slingplayer

would it be tight to fit all of this. I am guessing it would be but maybe I am wrong (hopefully)
    Thanks everyone!

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I would hazard a guess to say that you should be able to fit those apps on the 80GB SSD without a problem. Of course the files that you will be creating with those apps will be able to exist on the 2nd drive (the standard one which comes with the Mac Pro).

You can also place apps on a separate drive to the OS and have it function fine.

3. Moriarty macrumors 6502

Rather than us doing it for you, why don't you yourself look up the install sizes of each program, add them together, and see if they will fit?

I think the full FCP install is something ridiculous like 50GB so if I was you I'd just get a 7200rpm hard drive and wait a few years. You'll just become annoyed at the limitations of it.

Though it should be possible to install on an external drive.

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

i have snow leopard and photoshop, office, skype, adium, firefox, lightroom and only used 33gb. But final cut studio takes like 45gb. And project files are huge. No go on that one.

5. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

80 GB should be more than enough only if...

...you do put all of the FCS content elsewhere.

So, yes you can move your Final Cut Studio content or if you're doing a fresh install, you can tell it where to go at that time. I have Final Cut Studio, the full Adobe Master Collection (9 GB) and many other programs (Cinema 4D XL, Aperture, Canon and Nikon software, Widgets, etc.) and I'm around 50 GB, give or take a few GB. I even moved any Adobe templates that I could, which helped as well.