SSD Specs? - 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bbadalucco, Feb 23, 2009.

1. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I realize there has been speculation already (in numerous other forums/threads) in regards to the SSD in the 17" MBP.

I want a SSD in my MBP and I'd rather have it come with an SSD so I don't have to mess with putting one in etc. My problem is I don't want to pay the $675 or whatever it is without first knowing the brand and specs. I'm stuck wth wondering if I should go with the SSD provided by apple or get the G Skill Titan/Samsung when it comes out.

Does anyone know the brand/specs of the SSD provided by apple for the 17" MBP? Or know if Apple would provide the specs upon request?

As I said, I realize this has been talked about....its been speculated enough though that I thought I'd just make a new thread.

Thanks for any input.

2. bbadalucco thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, so I just found a thread that deals with this post. My bad and I thought I was being a responsible thread creater.

3. IxWiNdxI macrumors newbie

Can you post the link here? I'm interested in this too. I would search but its kind of diffcult doing it on a blackberry. Thanks

4. bbadalucco thread starter macrumors 6502

In this forum, looks for the following title:

"Any News on Samsung 256GB SSD"...or something similar to that...go to the last page.

5. pacome macrumors newbie

As I said in the other thread :

A french website has made a little review of MBP 17" with SSD :
    http://www.macbidouille.com/news/2009-02-23/#18027

And the bad news is that the SSD is not a Samsung but a Toshiba, with really poor performances......

I'm really angry about this because I ordered this MBP with SSD two month ago thinking it was a samsung with good performanes...

Thanks apple.......... two month to get a macbook with a bad ssd drive...

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

To be honest even a monkey could change the hard drive, its not difficult to take old a 5400 or 7200 and replace it with an SSD of your liking :) and save loads of money on the way :)

7. qoqo macrumors newbie

qoqo

I added Xbench results with the stock 256G SSD drive HERE.

Overall the drive performs a little worse than the baseline Xbench is comparing it to (Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB (6B300S0) connected to on-board SATA).

Yes, disappointing to say the least. In actual use, it seems peppy, but not for the price. I should have ordered the 5200 RPM drive. Would have received the laptop much sooner, for much less, and could have upgraded it myself. What was I thinking? :rolleyes:

Oh well, can't say I wasn't warned! :eek:

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod