SSD Starting to Fail?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by slomo86, May 2, 2012.

1. slomo86 macrumors member

slomo86

I posted the other day about a SSD problem and haven't got any feed back. well the problem just got worse... Here is part of the original post:

"Here is my issue, I recently did a fresh install of Lion on my OWC Mercury 6GB SSD because it was running a little bit sluggish after... now after the reinstall I come home from work it has been a sleep all day I wake it up and use it for about 5 minutes, then it will freeze. I am able to swipe to different desktops, but can not click anything because of the beach ball is spinning... the first time this happen I tried to force shut down and it wouldn't respond and started to run really hot. I was able to get it to shut down after about 20 minutes. I have a flash drive with OS X Lion on it and I started up on that and ran disk utility and fixed the disk. That seemed to work for about 2 days and now its doing the same thing but does not show any disk errors when I run the utility."

Now, today it just wouldn't wake up... sense I have 2 hard drives in the machine I made a partition and made that into a "install disk" so if I was on the go and didn't have my flash drive I could fix the problem. Well anyways today when I restarted my laptop it booted to that partition. I went to the disk utility to check the SSD and it wasn't found at all. I restarted again, and it did the same thing. Still booted into the installer partition, again went to disk utility and still did not see the SSD. I restarted again and it booted normally on the SSD...

:confused: Is there anything I can do to try and trouble shoot this problem??? :confused:

2. Bear macrumors G3

Did you check to make sure the cable(s) didn't come lose from the SSD?

Is there a firmware update for the SSD?

Is the SSD still under warranty?

3. slomo86 thread starter macrumors member

slomo86

I checked the cable and that seemed fine. Not sure about the firmware... I am gonna do some google searches to see about that.

As far as warranty I think it is, but I am in Turkey. For me to send it back takes almost double the normal shipping time. I got my fingers crossed this isn't the case.

I am using the MacBook right now but its running sluggish and keeps getting the spinning wheel and freezes up for a few seconds.

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I would check if the warranty is still intact and then I would contact the manufacturer you may have gotten a defective drive. While SSDs don't really fail getting defective hardware is a common problem and thats the first place I would start.

5. slomo86 thread starter macrumors member

slomo86

I just looked on OWC's support page for the drive and it looks like there is a firmware update as of March 23 2012... I am downloading it now. Its a 791MB file and unfortunately I am on a 2Mb DSL connection (but more like 1Mb)... this is going to take a while.

Thanks for the reply's.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Make sure you backup first, sometimes those updates go awry.

7. slomo86 thread starter macrumors member

slomo86

I have 2 time machine backups, one on a partition I made on the media disk, and another on a networked drive...

The other thing I have noticed is the time machine back ups make it freeze up too...