SSD Startup Disk HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tin88, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Tin88 macrumors member

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my apps, User/Home folder and System folder. But when i go to set the Startup disk my SSD is not listed. Please help what do i have to do??

2011 MBP 13" 2.7GHz, OWC 120GB SSD, 500GB HD in Optibay

2. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

Assuming that you're trying to clone an existing osx install, you need to have CCC copy everything but the files you specifically don't want. That is, using the "incremental backup of selected items" option go through the folder tree in the left pane and de-select things you do not want copied to your SSD. As you do this, watch the right pane to make sure it has a green circle with "this volume will be bootable" written next to it.

3. Tin88 thread starter macrumors member

I have everything selected besides three folders of Large Media files and nothing is lighting up green as bootable

4. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

5. Tin88 thread starter macrumors member

"OWC SSD" may not accommodate a complete backup of the chosen source volume. thats what CCC says with a Yellow circle next to it

6. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

that suggests the SSD is too small for the files you are trying to copy

7. Tin88 thread starter macrumors member

Yea, do you think it would still turn green if the drive was bootable even tho theres more info then i can Clone

8. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

As long as your you have selected more data on the source than the target can accomodate, you will get the yellow circle. In order to confirm that the target (SSD) will be bootable after cloning your HDD, you need to be copying less than 120GB (you'll probably want to use less than 100GB for better performance).

9. Tin88 thread starter macrumors member

I installed OSX with External Drive. After the Install it did the big start up with the Snow Leopard video and questions about how I'm goin to use the comp. and apple ID...etc. Is there anyway to transfer my settings from my old HD to the SSD?? I have already cloned files like i mentioned in a previous post..

10. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

If I understand correctly, you're saying that you now have a fresh installation of osx on your SSD, and a full installation on your HDD. I'm not sure that cloning would work in this case, but you should be able to use Apple's migration assistant at this point to get the job done.