SSD startup question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Flunkyturtle, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

Firstly, apologies if this EXACT question has been asked before...

Tried searching but couldn't find the answer...

I have a 2011 imac i7, i didn't want to pay the stupid amount to have a SSD from factory and have read online that its a bit of a task to install one afterwards...

I'm a complete novice so don't want to start pulling the mac apart

My question therefore is using the below product and plugging into the mac using FW would i have any issue booting the OS from this?

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/EliteALmini/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

My intention would be to keep the OS installed on the original internal HDD just incase anything went wrong with the SDD.

Appreciate the advice :)

Side note would i have any problems daisy chaining from this device to another, shouldn't affect startup?

2. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Anyone? If its not going to be worth doing I'd rather put the money towards something else.

3. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

It would only be worth it if you had the SSD in a Thunderbolt external enclosure.

An SSD over FireWire might be adequate but I'm not sure, maybe someone has booted from a FireWire SSD and can chime in.

The SATA bus is much faster than FireWire. You would be choking the capability of the SSD by a lot.

4. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is there such thing as a thunderbolt enclosure I did a quick google search but nothing was obvious?

Is there anyway of getting that kind of connection without it being internal? :(