SSD Storage reported differently in "About this Mac"

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by Sean869, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Sean869 macrumors member

Sean869

I hoping someone can help me with a problem thats confusing me. I have a twin drive setup in my Mac. A 256gb SSD for apps and a 1tb spinning drive for data. I have moved my photos, iTunes and iMovie stuff to the data drive.

When I open disk utility the used space of the SSD is correct at 55.1gb however when I open "About this mac" and check storage although the number is correct, still showing 55.1gb, used the graphic is wrong. It shows a huge amount of photos and if I hover the mouse over it the figure it shows as 81.62gb.

I have checked the SSD and they are simply not there, is it some sort go bug ? Its very confusing and I hope somebody can help explain or fix it.

Thanks very much - I have attached screen shots About this mac.jpg Disk Utility.jpg

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That readout gets data from the Spotlight index, and if that index is corrupted it can cause incorrect reading like you are seeing. Try running the command below in Terminal to reindex Spotlight and see if that helps. Give it 30 minutes or so to complete the reindex.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /