SSD Suggestion for 2011 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Orlandoech, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I;m looking to add/install an SSD myself to a 2011 iMac that I just grabbed from Amazon Warehouse as an open box item for a steal of $1499.

I've narrowed it down to two different SSDs, I really like the reviews, speeds and such from the

Samsung 830 (256GB) and the Corsair Force GT (180GB or 240GB). My specs for my iMac are below, what are your recommendations for the SSD?

specs;
    • 27-inch
    • 3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    • 2560 x 1440 resolution
    • 4GB (two 2GB) memory
    • 1TB hard drive
    • AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB

2. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

From what I've read installing an SSD on a 27" mac is a difficult task due to the massive front glass. But if you go ahead could you keep this thread updated?

3. mmomega, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I installed the Corsair ForceGT 120 in mine. Running completely trouble-free since the install. I also switched out the internal 1TB Seagate with a WD 1TB Black that I had lying in a desk drawer.
    If you want to do the install proper you need to get the SSD mounting hardware for the iMac as well as the proper SATA+Power cable.

It really is not a difficult task to do, especially if you are only swapping the HDD for the SDD.
    Keeping both is a little more in depth but as long as you can follow direction and use a screw driver you can do it.
    I'll toss a pic up in a few mins. ***Added***

I purchased the pressure wall SSD mount for a 2010 iMac and it worked w/o any modifications.
    The Red square is the 2010 location, while the green circle are where you mount with the 2011 hardware.
    I already had the pressure wall mount before I found out about the other mounting hardware which places the SSD directly under the superdrive.

This is the Sata+Power connector I used to connect the SSD to the 3rd factory SATA port. http://www.microsatacables.com/featured/slimline-13-pin-sata-female-to-22-pin-sata-female-cable/
    You can use this or you can use a standard SATA cable but you will have to get a SATA Y-connector to pull power from the HDD cable to SSD.

Attached Files:

4. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Ive done a lot of research on how to do it, I also have lots of PC/Server building experience so I am not worried.

However, I read a lot on the issues come when you replace the stock HDD for an SSD and not just add an SSD due to the temperatures and such. You have any issues with temp readings since the SSD doesn't have Apple firmware on it?

5. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

On my 1st SSD install in my 2009 iMac I replaced the HDD entirely with an Intel SSD. On iStats it shows a temp reading but it just reports HDD @ 37deg. Which is way cooler than the ambient temp in the room. This could be a due to a difference between the Logic Boards or the SSD itself reporting because...

In my 2011 iMac, iStats actually shows both drives independently and names them accordingly as you can see in the attached photo.

The only 'problem' per say is that when you replace the stock HDD the HDD fan goes full speed, it even did it with my WD Black drive in its place. So you'll need to get some program that will fake out the sensor to make it believe the stock drive is still there. I suggest SSDFanControl. FWIW I've used it on both of my iMacs and 2 friends and I've yet to notice any problem and the '09 has been going non-stop for the past 2 years.

but again as you can see the '11 picks up the SSD and HDD temps just fine. Hope that helps.

Attached Files: