SSD suppliers in the UK

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Praecox, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Praecox macrumors newbie

Praecox

I would like to buy a 256Gb SSD for my Mac but not sure if there are any suppliers in the UK as I seem to see alot about the US QWC group?

2. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I bought a 128 GB SSD and an Icy Dock 2.5" to 3.5" adapter from OWC in the US and got it shipped to London via Fedex. It cost me about 45 pounds extra for VAT (Fedex will charge you the VAT about 2 weeks after you have received your parcel). I think it was still worth it, as the OWC SSDs really seems to be one of the best ones available right now.

3. sochet macrumors regular

sochet

Try ebuyer.com

They're cheaper than the link above and they have the OCZ vertex II which has the same sandforce controller as OWC's.

4. All Taken macrumors 6502a

5. bobbydaz macrumors regular

Also from the UK I'm looking to buy a 100gb SSD and was considering OWC in USA. How does the OCZ compare, seems like a good price on Overclockers.

6. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Ebuyer and Overclockers are brilliant sites for drives etc, OWC is good for US customers, however, anything ordered from the UK side is subject to VAT.

Overclockers is my site of choice for SSD drives and will get you a fast drive, after all, the OWC mercury drive is just a rebranded third party drive that will cost you more than the original drive from Overclockers.

OWC = Great for US customers, not really a viable source for customers abroad.

Overclockers/Ebuyer = UK based, Large range of stock, easy to RMA if faulty and great customer service.

7. curvephotograph macrumors member

Cheaper on Amazon once you add the £8 P&P from overclockers. The Amazon ones include the 3.5 converter which isn't mentioned on the overclockers site

8. bobbydaz macrumors regular

9. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Amazon is a good reputable place of order, I was simply pointing out my experience with overclockers as a positive one. If amazon is cheaper and you're happy with the returns service, use them.

10. curvephotograph macrumors member

11. ABG macrumors 6502

12. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Try scan.co.uk. If you know the product name, the Shopping tab in Google sometimes brings up good deals.

13. mattmower macrumors member

mattmower

I bought a 120GB OCZ Vertex 2E for my hex a couple of weeks ago for £215 from Scan. That price was pretty competitive with the OWC price on a mercury extreme (the other contender) when you take VAT into account and delivery was fast. I ordered on the Friday and had it 11am on Monday.

Matt

14. dazey macrumors 6502

I just ordered a vertex 2 60GB from dabs.co.uk for £120. Been using them for most of my drive purchases for years.