SSD Temperature Sensor - iStat Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by epcomworld, Dec 26, 2011.

1. epcomworld macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have two 17'' MacBook Pros. One of them has a Crucial M4 SSD (which works great), but the iStat temperature sensor no longer picks up a HD temperature. I am assuming this is because the Crucial SSD does not have one. I am not to concerned about this.

However, I plan on getting another SSD for my other MacBook Pro. I was thinking for this one - the Apple 512gb SSD manufactured by Toshiba at 2.5''.

I found the item here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-NEW-Appl...ultDomain_0&hash=item3f111f63d6#ht_1989wt_907

I am curious - does anyone else have this SSD and if you use the iStat Pro Widget does it give you a temperature for this drive. I figured since this drive is specifically for Apple products that the native TRIM support would be easier + temperature sensor would be standard. If anyone can let me know what like they have with this drive I would appreciate it. Thank you and Happy Holidays.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not aware of any aftermarket SSD that comes with the temp sensor. It shouldn't be a problem, though, as the temps you need to watch are the CPU/GPU, not the drives.

3. epcomworld thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm curious though - does the Apple Branded SSD besides having Native TRIM support - also have a temp monitor (specifically the one I identified above). Thanks for your fast reply.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I always thought the HD temperature sensor was somewhere in the HD bay, not on the HD itself.

My 128 GB Apple/Toshiba SSD reports a temperature.

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

My Crucial M4 doesn't report a temperature either. Who cares? What will you do about it anyway if it does report a number? (Hint: the same thing you do when the CPU gets hot... nothing)

As far as the trim support goes... Crucial (and most others) have their own garbage collection routines that work well. I'd almost trust theirs before Apple's TRIM algorithms since memory is what Crucial does for a living

If your M4 "works great" why would you want to change from something your own experience says is just fine?

You can get another 512GB SSD for $50 cheaper than ebay and it's from a reliable source.

6. jon08 macrumors 65816