SSD Temperatures in bootcamp (13 inch retina 2013)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asimplelie, Aug 5, 2014.

1. asimplelie macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have an issue (perhaps) with the SSD in my retina macbook pro (13 inch, late 2013, middle tier (256GB version). Under OSX the SSD temperature is fine, idling at about 35 celsius. Under Windows, which I simply must use for some purposes, it idles at about 55, which I don't think is too healthy for an SSD.

The strange thing is that when unplugged and running off battery, the temperatures drop to a respectable 40. What could be causing this difference? I have the computer on the same power plan when unplugged so I'm not sure what can be happening.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is this a safe temperature? Under load the SSD doesn't go above 56, even when gaming, so it doesn't seem to be related to use so much as whether the computer is plugged in or not.

Thanks!

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Charging a battery generates heat. If you were to remove the battery entirely and run it off of AC power, it would likely run cooler as well.

edit: The temperatures look fine to me. The 840 Pro is rated for up to 70 C, so other SSDs are probably about the same.

3. asimplelie thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds plausible but even when fully charged it idles much higher than in OSX.

My main concerns are that a) this could be caused by the fact the drivers are just shoddy and the SSD isn't working well at all, and b) that the high temperatures will reduce the lifespan of my computer, which considering that it cost over 1000 pounds isn't acceptable, especially considering that this is a "pro" product which you might think includes reliable compatibility with Windows.

4. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

What are you using to read the temperatures?

Many apps that read SMART attributes report wrong temperature readings for SSDs. It's a vendor specific attribute, not a standardized one, so the apps might interpret the raw values incorrectly.

I've had multiple of SSDs from different vendors reporting temperatures in the hundreds of degrees...